Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New carry revolver. Advice and opinions

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4v3RiK View Post
    While waiting to get my ducks in a row I decided to stop and my local gun shop and see what all they had around the size frames I was looking at. 3 potential spur of the moment buy caught my eye. A PC 642, sp101 2.25”, and a colt cobra. I loved how all 3 felt in the hand. I’d say I have pretty average size hands every one of them felt great. If I could I would have bought all 3 on the spot. But because the colt had a 15% off sticker price, I was sold. I’m very happy with this little snubby. Still have my eyes on the 19 carry comp. And my attention has also shifted toward the king cobra as well. I believe after I acquire those 2 I’ll be satisfied all together. But I’m sure we’ve all heard the saying “ you never stop, you just slow down” ������Attachment 58206Attachment 58207Attachment 58207
    I don’t know anything about the Colt, but I have a 642. It’s a convenient form factor, useful in some carry situations, but I hate that little gun with a passion and shoot it only enough to be semi-competent with it at 7 yards or less. Preferably less.

Feedback Score
    The trick with Centennials in general is to use boot grips, and choke as high on the hump as possible. The Airweights and AirLights are especial stinkers to shoot, but the high hold and grips will make a difference. The steel Centennials are much nicer to shoot, but obviously heavier.
    I have a steel 940 that is surprisingly rappy to shoot with 9mms; a bike glove cushions the recoil.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Good deal on the Cobra.

Since it has some weight to it you'll enjoy shooting it more!

Get some 130 fmj ammo for practice. None of that recoils much.

Wadcutters and some of the 125-148 gr lead loads have even less recoil.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I don’t know anything about the Colt, but I have a 642. It’s a convenient form factor, useful in some carry situations, but I hate that little gun with a passion and shoot it only enough to be semi-competent with it at 7 yards or less. Preferably less.
    A little discomfort during training is far outweighed by the convenience of carry. Adapting to recoil is easily done over time. A J Frame with a good load can easily be deployed, in a defensive situation, out to 25 yards.

Getting hits somewhere on a silhouette at 100 yards is doable. Getting solid C.O.M. hits at 50 yards requires some effort, but can be done with regularity.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I like the S&W.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4v3RiK View Post
    I’ve finally come to the conclusion it’s now or never for a new carry wheel gun. I’ve decided on primarily .357 and it’s boiled down to the Ruger gp100 WC or S&W model 19 carry comp. From what I’ve been able to research both are solid tools that will perform above and beyond. Anyone who has either can you please let me know how you feel carrying during the day. Size, weight, comfort. And and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
    On days I want to CCW a wheel gun, my gun of choice is an S&W 327PC. It's a short 2" barrel, Titanium/Scandium (21 oz.) but built on a larger N frame so you can shoot full house .357 mags all day long comfortably. The best thing about the 327PC is it has an 8 round cylinder. I would hope you can get the job done with 8 rounds but just in case you can't I carry a spare moon clip giving you 16 rounds total of .357 magnum goodness.
    Last edited by MadDog; 08-02-19 at 14:45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    AWESOME advice.

Everyone that carries 50 rounds just
    To go to Starbucks needs to read this.

As a former LEO it’s been drilled into me over and over how you’re accountable for every single round sent down range. The more you carry, The more you will be tempted to launch. You might get the bad guy, but if just ONE round goes through a window 300 yards away and hits an innocent...

The best tool that you have is situational awareness. Univibe Touched on this also. Keep your head out of your butt and on a swivel, odds are you’ll never need anything. THAT is my goal. As a now just plain civilian, my goal is to live the rest of my life and NEVER even let someone else know that I’m even carrying.
    I have to agree with you on that 100Percent.For some reasons LE Administrations love to blame their cops.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    The real question usually is whether you are actually going to carry that double stack semi automatic and extra magazines. Most people say they will and do a pretty good job but find themselves over time in more and more situations where they’re not actually carrying and the gun is left in the car or worse. I have a lot of guns I have no gun that is more convenient to carry than a J frame . I am fortunate to be self-employed, so there are usually additional weapons at my office and of course my home. But a good lightweight revolver can be simply dropped in a pocket without a holster if need be something I would not recommend with almost any semi automatic. That being said there is no doubt if I’m going to get in a shoot out in the parking lot with the twins from breaking bad I would much rather have a higher capacity handgun, preferably loaded with the heaviest , widest bullets I can find in the newest possible design . You just need to make sure that in your desired to be prepared for the ultimate shoot out you don’t put yourself in a situation where you’re not armed because of inconvenience in the situations you’re actually going to be in .
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    The real question usually is whether you are actually going to carry that double stack semi automatic and extra magazines. Most people say they will and do a pretty good job but find themselves over time in more and more situations where they’re not actually carrying and the gun is left in the car or worse. I have a lot of guns I have no gun that is more convenient to carry than a J frame . I am fortunate to be self-employed, so there are usually additional weapons at my office and of course my home. But a good lightweight revolver can be simply dropped in a pocket without a holster if need be something I would not recommend with almost any semi automatic. That being said there is no doubt if I’m going to get in a shoot out in the parking lot with the twins from breaking bad I would much rather have a higher capacity handgun, preferably loaded with the heaviest , widest bullets I can find in the newest possible design . You just need to make sure that in your desired to be prepared for the ultimate shoot out you don’t put yourself in a situation where you’re not armed because of inconvenience in the situations you’re actually going to be in .
    People just have to be honest with themselves. I find a G19 size gun more comfortable and convenient to carry. Very rarely do I have an issue with it. I won't be carrying one while mowing acres of land but for every day stuff, winter to summer, it's not an issue.

I tried revolvers but their shape and grip make it a no go. It's just thick for iwb and pocket as well as hard to get to and not to mention it rotates in the pocket ending up upside down with the barrel pointing out and the grip up and towards the inside. A pocket holster makes it look like I have a brick in my pocket. And this isn't even considering the tiny grips.

But, if you're not going to carry something like a G19/26 then a pocket semi or revolver is the way to go. My old man want to carry so he bought himself a HK USP 40. It sat in his sock drawer for over a decade until he bought a Ruger LCP 380. Now he carries every day. I use one when carrying at a formal event. In a holster inside dress pants it's fairly comfortable and totally concealed
    Last edited by Arik; 08-03-19 at 09:28.

Feedback Score
    As has been mentioned, the Ruger sp 101 in .357 at 25oz. is about as heavy as I would plan to carry, especially Cc during the summer. I know some others are capable of carrying heavier revolvers but for my personal limitations I would not daily carry my other revolvers. I have a 3” gp100 and a 4” s&w 686, both of which are my favorite guns to shoot. I think about the weight and carry a g43.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast