Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget movie style safe build.

Feedback Score

Budget movie style safe build.

I have always wanted a well lit, movie style armory safe like in the movies. I also had a few guns that overflowed my other safes. I wanted something industrial looking. I started with a used jewel vault. Ugly but effective. One inch hardened steel. 5000lbs. The original lock required two manager keys to unlock but there was a one hour delay to unlock after the keys were used. I had it retooled for a push button lock. This I did not cheap out on as this safe would be very hard to get into if the lock failed. I drilled a hole for wiring and destroyed several carbide bits. I got one of the better models and had it professionally installed.
    Setting it in place was very hard.
    C29984DF-C3CC-4FFC-B818-5B48C1ECCCE1.jpg

The safe was painted with a exterior paint called ironically, Armory Gray
    F7C1717E-CAB6-4090-95A9-CD0014C4B228.jpg

Lock and handle was coated in rubber tool dip.
    B5084A16-8C6B-41C0-A260-4AADFFF2D33F.jpg

Soldered all the light strips together
    E9D3CF2B-0D5A-4B48-B7B1-F2838DBFC038.jpg

I soldered in a IR sensor the cuts the lights off when door is closed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I bought Uline shelf and cut it down. I took a carpeted shelf that I wasn’t using from another safe and trimmed it to fit. I also added a dehumidifier golden rod. For a splash of color I bought a embroidered flag, and some magnetic tape. This also hides wiring. The racking system is called rackem store displays. It is a rubber coated to not scratch anything. I was wanted something like securit racks but to outfit this safe it would cost about 2 grand. This was much more affordable 7D3D41A4-2B7F-41A2-826A-EA6C682750A5.jpg

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That looks great! Where did you source the vault from?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    It looks fine, but instead of having multiple safes and shelves wouldn't it be easier, albeit less secure of course, to build something like an armory cage if you need lots of storage?
    Similar to this:
    https://www.southwestsolutions.com/i...e-racks-photos
    or
    http://tiffinmetal.com/firearms-armory-racks/

It's easier to assemble/disassemble/transport, various configurations, more compact to store not just weapons but tools, and etc.?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    That looks great! Where did you source the vault from?
    I bought it from griffin safes in Chesterfield SC

Feedback Score
    I have some shipping containers that are basically a metal cage. I just buy safes as I need them. When this one fills up I will buy another one.

Feedback Score
    While those pics aren't from inside a shipping container, there is something to remember about using a shipping container.
    The locking handles/bars/handle latches are not hardened steel. No matter what lock is used, the handle latch can be cut away from the lock, or the handle itself just inside from the lock, and the door opened.
    You'll want to add another locking method to secure the doors.
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    While those pics aren't from inside a shipping container, there is something to remember about using a shipping container.
    The locking handles/bars/handle latches are not hardened steel. No matter what lock is used, the handle latch can be cut away from the lock, or the handle itself just inside from the lock, and the door opened.
    You'll want to add another locking method to secure the doors.
    I don't know jack-all about shipping containers, but is the rest of the container hardened steel?

I mean, if the doors can withstand a .50, but a P-38 can open the side walls, it kind of negates a lot of the purpose.

Feedback Score
    None of it is hardened. I haven't attacked one with something such as an axe, or a cordless circular saw. A grinder or torch will certainly open it. Will likely take awhile. I doubt something such as tin snips will open it. All but the floor is steel, the floor is a thick wood supported by metal beams.
    The pics show a basic metal building, the kind that are similar to a carport, but fully enclosed. A shipping containers walls are thicker than the sheet metal used on those types of buildings.
    I have such a building, and I have a shipping container.
    A shipping container is not a safe, nor would I say it was. Unless you bring some serious tools, it will be more difficult and/or much slower to enter than a standard metal building, or basic wood framed bulding, provided something extra was done to secure the doors. They are vented, but stay quite dry inside. You could just stack ammo in it on shelves.
    If using for storage of guns, I would still put a gun safe inside.
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast