Thread: Rotational Recoil Bias

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Rotational Recoil Bias

What causes this? For example, the Surefire Warcomp is "timed" to provide bias to its action, to counter-act rotation of the weapon upon firing.

Is this caused by the anatomy of the shooter (Left/Right), or is this caused by the camming of the bolt and action of it against the carrier, as well as the bullet impacting the rifling?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    from what i understand it is mostly caused by a rifling pattern. That's the reason for AK's slant brake. I highly doubt you'll see much, if any, affect of the cam pin in 5.56 caliber on a rotational bias.
    Also I think you have a good point of individual anatomy (or weapon retention) - I don't think most people holding rifles would be able to hold them perfectly leveled unless using a bipod with the level.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I may be incorrect, and someone feel free to correct me. My understanding was timing left or right with a muzzle device was more due to the shoulder you were shooting from; ie. a rifle shot by a lefty would tend to recoil up and to the left, opposite with a right handed person due to the rifle following the path of least resistance.

Feedback Score
    Nate is correct but rotation can be managed through a better stance. The more bladed the stance the more exaggerated the rotation is what I have found.

Feedback Score
    Are you talking about the rifle rotating about the barrel?
    1: Ive never noticed it, even with machineguns.
    2. Timing of a muzzle device would not matter, even if it happened.

If you are talking about gun going up and right for a right handed shooter, its all stance and handling of the gun, at least with ars.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I understood same as Nate, the offset timing of a 5.56 Warcomp will slightly counteract the natural way the muzzle wants to move during recoil, which is due to shooting right or left handed.

I dont want a bias or difference in feel or function or really anything I might potentially have to offset for, so I time all of my Warcomps neutrally. But since I've never timed them the way they were intended, I cant say if its noticeable.

Interestingly, 7.62 Warcomps are designed to be neutrally timed. Dont know the reason for that difference though.