Thread: Burris MTAC 1.5-6×42?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Burris MTAC 1.5-6×42?

Anyone have any experience with one?

https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/...ope-1.5-6x42mm

Specifically wondering about clarity and dim light use.
    Even better if you can compare it to a Steiner P4Xi 1-4x or Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x.

Researching to put a scope on a 20" upper for deer hunting (possibly coyote and pig too) so wondering if the MTAC 42mm objective offers any advantages in dim light over the 2 smaller objective scopes I have.

Thanks!

Jason

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've owned an MTAC 1-4 which I liked very much before trading up for an XTR ii 1-5. I do currently have an XTR 1.5-6x42 which is the next step above the MTAC 1.5-6 which I'd like sell if you'd be interested.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I had one many years ago (6-7?) shortly after they came out. I sold it. Overall not impressed with anything - clarity, reticle, low light performance. It's a hobby level scope and what you can get today for $400-500 is far beyond what you could get back then for that price.

The larger objective gives you a larger exit pupil, which is good, but you need quality glass/coatings as well and the MTAC is mediocre for that. I had an MTAC 3.5-10x44 around the same time and did some extensive comparison testing with it and other scopes (probably SWFA SS 3-9x or Sightron 3.5-10x, can't remember) at dusk and after dusk, and it was far behind in terms of low light usability. It was also a lower priced scope compared to those, but not by a huge amount.

The Vortex Viper PST Gen2 1-6x can be found for around $599 with some shopping and patience, and is easily two classes better than the MTAC. There are many other options too, and although I'm not a big Leupold fan I would take almost any Leupold over the MTAC.
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 05-07-19 at 15:13.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Beretta owns both Burris and Steiner.
    Think of it as Steiner being the Cadillac and Burris the Chevy.
    Steiner has better glass IMO.

Feedback Score
    The Burris XTR 1.5-6 or 1-5 from Natchez would get you better glass and durability than the MTAC. They have been pricing them aggressively due to the XTR3 coming out soon i would guess. They are under $500 for many of the models

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    The Burris XTR 1.5-6 or 1-5 from Natchez would get you better glass and durability than the MTAC. They have been pricing them aggressively due to the XTR3 coming out soon i would guess. They are under $500 for many of the models
    Yep. I'd sell mine for $350 shipped. Or $450 mounted in an ADM dual lever mount and a bubble level. It's been mounted on my 308 AR and I put a 3-15x scope on it, so it's just sitting in the safe now.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I don't know the answer to your question. However, I think that Burris, particularly the XTR II line, is usually a good value. If you try the MTAC and don't like it, you can always sell it to us.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you all for the information.

I am assuming all the XTR 1.5-6x have 7.62 based bdc reticles from what I am able to find? Is that super specific to the point of being an issue for 5.56 or like most others that are 7.62x51/5.56x45 generic?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The original XTR is very old at this point - it's been out of production for 6-7 years. You may still find them at Natchez, or of course used, but it's old. They were pretty good for the era but are two generations behind now.

Anyway, they did have different BDC options for 5.56 vs. 7.62 but the difference is small. It's only likely to matter for precision use, and if you're trying to use a wrong-caliber BDC at 6x for precision, I can't help you.

If you're looking at new the XTRII is a major upgrade, and is itself aging out and available at low prices at Natchez and other places. Or Vortex PST gen2, any Japanese-made Bushnell, etc. There are tons of good options now with good pricing due to the slow market. Even the newer Nightforce NX8 models don't cost much more than the very elderly NXS models they are replacing.
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 05-10-19 at 12:22.