Thread: North Carolina CCW Question

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

North Carolina CCW Question

Can't seem to find the answer and was hoping you may enlighten me.

Can a NC resident carry using a non-resident permit?

Here is the situation: I will be moving to Raleigh on May 28. Right now, I can carry in NC as an NJ Resident with a FL non-resident permit. Once in NC, I have to wait 30 days to apply for a CCW permit, plus processing time. I assume I will have to change my DL to NC prior to filling out the application. I would like to not have a "lapse in coverage" if you know what I mean.

Thanks!
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    NC recognizes the carry permits of every state in the nation, regardless of whether they recognize ours or not. You are good to go until you get your NC permit

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use two references to travel:

have the following APP on my iPhone
    Click on the state you have a permit from and then select Resident or Non-Resident. All the states your permit is good in will be highlighted in Blue
    https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

This link provides tech data
    http://handgunlaw.us/

EDIT: I agree with CWM118
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 05-12-19 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Congrats on the upcoming move.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thank you gents. Like I said, my concern is that period of time where I am a NC resident (changed DL), using a Florida Non-Resident CCW permit which was issued to me as an NJ Resident (No longer have NJ DL).
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    In the off chance someone asked you could show your NJ DL.

That is a strange situation. I can't imagine NC would care. Would you still have an active NJ residence? Probably not. Then again does that negate your CCW? IOW.... regardless of your classification, does your CCW that you have now expire or become invalid for some reason once you get a NC DL? It probably doesn't. So you would still have an active and valid CCW and that's all NC cares about.

So you would be a NC resident with a still active Other State CCW. You know they have that CCW that's good in several states. I forget which state it is, but they are always pushing that class here in VA. "Come get your <X state> CCW and you are good to go in several states" So it sounds like you will sort of have that situation going on. What are the expire or 'no longer valid' restrictions on the CCW you have now?

So IOW.. if you hit NC on June 1, then apply July 1, and receive Aug 1... will the CCW you have now be valid until Aug 1? I can't believe that there isn't some mechanism to account for this. You can't be the first person to do it.

I think it kinda hinges on your FL CCW. Can you just send them a change of address to your June 1 NC address. If so, then it's done. That will run you to Aug 1 when you get your new NC CCW.

ETA: ... and go to the State Fair and find that home made ice cream shop where the guy has these hit&miss engines churning ice cream. The Peach is really good. The sound of those engines is kinda hypnotic.
    Last edited by tb-av; 05-14-19 at 23:15.