Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bcm 11.5”

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Nobody cares if you shoot with alphabet agencies, or sniff their badges as they walk by you at the range. SB Tactical has taken every precaution and step they can to keep their braces ATF compliant, and they sell replacement straps in many different colors and camo patterns. You cannot legally remove the strap permanently, but replacing the strap is legal.
    Don't sniff badges and don't really give a shit, just passing along info. You're absolutely correct about SB tactical taking every precaution. We are not talking about replacement straps. We are talking about modifying the brace with a split fix which the ATF says if you do you're not in compliance. If you don't care that's fine. And I don't see how it could be supported in court. But I'm just telling you what the ATF is saying. Braces are 100% on their radar.

Feedback Score
    Someone should write a letter to get clarification on the Split Fix legal debate.......settle this once and for all.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    FFS people..... just stop.

Folks in the gov literally have labeled everyone on here potential domestic terrorists and people still want to get their panties in a bunch over nonsensical BS.

Maybe try acting like free men just for once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Maybe try acting like free men just for once.
    Freedom is silly.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Don't sniff badges and don't really give a shit, just passing along info. You're absolutely correct about SB tactical taking every precaution. We are not talking about replacement straps. We are talking about modifying the brace with a split fix which the ATF says if you do you're not in compliance. If you don't care that's fine. And I don't see how it could be supported in court. But I'm just telling you what the ATF is saying. Braces are 100% on their radar.
    You obviously do care, a lot, despite being so wrong.

Feedback Score
    Please no letters, people need to leave well enough alone. No mods means no mods, the split fix is a mod over the factory strap.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yikes, I'm no lawyer, but having just decided to try this whole pistol thing, I've been trying to read up on the rules, and their wording is certainly vague. As I read it, it doesn't actually say "no modifications" as everyone (including the aforementioned local ATF agent) always says:

"If, however, the shooter/possessor takes affirmative steps to configure the device for use as a shoulder-stock — for example, configuring the brace so as to permanently affix it to the end of a buffer tube, (thereby creating a length that has no other purpose than to facilitate its use as a stock), removing the arm-strap, or otherwise undermining its ability to be used as a brace — and then in fact shoots the firearm from the shoulder using the accessory as a shoulder stock, that person has objectively “redesigned” the firearm for the purposes of the NFA."

From my understanding, it says that you can't make any modifications that change the function of the brace, either: (1) "configure the device for use as a shoulder-stock" or (2) "otherwise undermining its ability to be used as a brace." That would imply that you could, as a simple example, replace the factory strap with one of identical design that is a different color (which I'm guessing is why SB Tactical sells replacement straps from another manufacturer on their website). Beyond that, it seems open to however they want to interpret it if they were to examine a brace that was not completely factory original.

Anyway, back on topic, the 11.5" barrel seems ideal for this setup, at least until I decide if I want to delve into 300 BLK. I'm curious why BCM hasn't offered CHF (BFH) versions of their 300 BLK barrels, but maybe they weren't sure how big the market would be for that caliber when they decided to expand into it.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    Yikes, I'm no lawyer, but having just decided to try this whole pistol thing, I've been trying to read up on the rules, and their wording is certainly vague. As I read it, it doesn't actually say "no modifications" as everyone (including the aforementioned local ATF agent) always says:

"If, however, the shooter/possessor takes affirmative steps to configure the device for use as a shoulder-stock — for example, configuring the brace so as to permanently affix it to the end of a buffer tube, (thereby creating a length that has no other purpose than to facilitate its use as a stock), removing the arm-strap, or otherwise undermining its ability to be used as a brace — and then in fact shoots the firearm from the shoulder using the accessory as a shoulder stock, that person has objectively “redesigned” the firearm for the purposes of the NFA."

From my understanding, it says that you can't make any modifications that change the function of the brace, either: (1) "configure the device for use as a shoulder-stock" or (2) "otherwise undermining its ability to be used as a brace." That would imply that you could, as a simple example, replace the factory strap with one of identical design that is a different color (which I'm guessing is why SB Tactical sells replacement straps from another manufacturer on their website). Beyond that, it seems open to however they want to interpret it if they were to examine a brace that was not completely factory original.

Anyway, back on topic, the 11.5" barrel seems ideal for this setup, at least until I decide if I want to delve into 300 BLK. I'm curious why BCM hasn't offered CHF (BFH) versions of their 300 BLK barrels, but maybe they weren't sure how big the market would be for that caliber when they decided to expand into it.
    Just to clarify - The contention was strictly with the SplitFix which stops the two sides of the brace from folding in on each other. This would "otherwise undermining its ability to be used as a brace". You can swap straps to your hearts content.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Just to clarify - The contention was strictly with the SplitFix which stops the two sides of the brace from folding in on each other. This would "otherwise undermining its ability to be used as a brace". You can swap straps to your hearts content.
    No, I totally get that - my point was just in regards to the responses I usually see on this topic, that say that any modification at all to a brace is prohibited. I don't think that is the ATF's intent, but what they would probably approve of is pretty limited. However, I don't think the SplitFix affects the ability of the SBA3 to function as a brace in any way. The brace works the same way once you release the additional strap at the bottom and extend the strap around your arm. The potential issue is the first part of the letter - that it could be interpreted as "configuring the device for use as a shoulder-stock" by reinforcing the rubber brace. On the flip side, it still wouldn't even come close to how solid the Tailhook loop is (especially the metal version) in its closed position.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123