Thread: Quality factory AK's now cost more than brand name AR's and are a better investment.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I wouldn't call it "complaining", but rather sharing the details of my experiences. I like to do this on the forums whenever members discuss any gun that I own and I think most appreciate this. I for sure appreciate others detailing their experiences as I'd rather learn from their experiences then get caught in the same pitfalls myself. Of course experiences can be both positive and negative. Positive, like "my $179 MAK-90 that's never malfunctioned went through another 200rds today" doesn't take as much to elaborate on as a negative experience. As for them not knowing how to fix the issues with my rifles, my goodness. They are the factory. If the ones who designed and manufactured a gun don't know how to make it work, then they shouldn't sell it. There's certainly no excuse for them selling the same unreliable rifles 13 years later.

Without testing their production rifles across multiple mag batches going back decades- the actual feeding issues on the 106 line might not have been a problem at the factory. So while they generally test fired them, included a test target, they might not have had any issues depending on the mags they had available. Then the end user gets some newer mags and suddenly has issues. I don't even think they knew there was an issue with the centering feed tabs being eliminated on the later production mags until I pointed it out. Anyway, all that is out there, what to look for, make sure the nose is hitting the feedramp bevel, how to address those issues so you can use any of the Bulgarian mags etc.

As far as over gassing issues, that's an entirely separate matter specific to the mid length 106 CR or krink UR models- that they lack a grommet and need the barrel chopped to reduce pressure. Otherwise you're stuck pressing the gas block off to remove the grommet once you SBR the thing. As far as your specific 106CR goes- it's not like they are going to press the gas block off, grind out a shallow pit in the gas port and install a grommet just because yours might be over gassed if it doesn't have a grommet to begin with. So they replaced your disconnector and called it a day. A cheap over powered Wolff recoil spring and perhaps a recoil buffer would have slowed your cyclic rate down if it was over gassed before getting the barrel chopped. They were purposely built so the end user could SBR them without a ton of work or requiring a press to remove the gas blocks etc.

RR77
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 05-10-19 at 16:26.