Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality factory AK's now cost more than brand name AR's and are a better investment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I wouldn't call it "complaining", but rather sharing the details of my experiences. I like to do this on the forums whenever members discuss any gun that I own and I think most appreciate this. I for sure appreciate others detailing their experiences as I'd rather learn from their experiences then get caught in the same pitfalls myself. Of course experiences can be both positive and negative. Positive, like "my $179 MAK-90 that's never malfunctioned went through another 200rds today" doesn't take as much to elaborate on as a negative experience. As for them not knowing how to fix the issues with my rifles, my goodness. They are the factory. If the ones who designed and manufactured a gun don't know how to make it work, then they shouldn't sell it. There's certainly no excuse for them selling the same unreliable rifles 13 years later.

Without testing their production rifles across multiple mag batches going back decades- the actual feeding issues on the 106 line might not have been a problem at the factory. So while they generally test fired them, included a test target, they might not have had any issues depending on the mags they had available. Then the end user gets some newer mags and suddenly has issues. I don't even think they knew there was an issue with the centering feed tabs being eliminated on the later production mags until I pointed it out. Anyway, all that is out there, what to look for, make sure the nose is hitting the feedramp bevel, how to address those issues so you can use any of the Bulgarian mags etc.

As far as over gassing issues, that's an entirely separate matter specific to the mid length 106 CR or krink UR models- that they lack a grommet and need the barrel chopped to reduce pressure. Otherwise you're stuck pressing the gas block off to remove the grommet once you SBR the thing. As far as your specific 106CR goes- it's not like they are going to press the gas block off, grind out a shallow pit in the gas port and install a grommet just because yours might be over gassed if it doesn't have a grommet to begin with. So they replaced your disconnector and called it a day. A cheap over powered Wolff recoil spring and perhaps a recoil buffer would have slowed your cyclic rate down if it was over gassed before getting the barrel chopped. They were purposely built so the end user could SBR them without a ton of work or requiring a press to remove the gas blocks etc.

RR77
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 05-10-19 at 16:26.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    Without testing their production rifles across multiple mag batches going back decades- the actual feeding issues on the 106 line might not have been a problem at the factory. So while they generally test fired them, included a test target, they might not have had any issues depending on the mags they had available. Then the end user gets some newer mags and suddenly has issues. I don't even think they knew there was an issue with the centering feed tabs being eliminated on the later production mags until I pointed it out.
    If they disclosed that they had failed to do what was necessary to ensure that they were selling a quality rifle, then I might understand. As it is, many people paid $1000+ for 106 series rifles only to find out that they got lemons and how Arsenal NV wouldn't take ownership of their failures.

As far as over gassing issues, that's an entirely separate matter specific to the mid length 106 CR or krink UR models- that they lack a grommet and need the barrel chopped to reduce pressure. Otherwise you're stuck pressing the gas block off to remove the grommet once you SBR the thing. As far as your specific 106CR goes- it's not like they are going to press the gas block off, grind out a shallow pit in the gas port and install a grommet just because yours might be over gassed if it doesn't have a grommet to begin with.
    Why not do what's necessary to fix the customer's rifle that they paid well over $1000 for? This says all you need to know about their attitude towards their customers.

So they replaced your disconnector and called it a day. A cheap over powered Wolff recoil spring and perhaps a recoil buffer would have slowed your cyclic rate down if it was over gassed before getting the barrel chopped.
    They could have installed a heavy recoil spring and buffer. If I hadn't chopped the barrel, the rifle would have literally beat itself apart. They have warranty in name only. They know customers will eventually get frustrated and give up on them.

They were purposely built so the end user could SBR them without a ton of work or requiring a press to remove the gas blocks etc.
    I think that you give far too much credit. If they purpose built all of these to be SBR's, then they would have put it in the documentation that the rifle should not be fired until the barrel is chopped. Or, they could have simply permanently attached a fake suppressor to the SBR length barrel in order to make it to 16". To me it's quite obvious that they simply put the wrong size holes in the gas port (for the barrel length) and don't mind selling these defective rifles to their customers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    If they disclosed that they had failed to do what was necessary to ensure that they were selling a quality rifle, then I might understand. As it is, many people paid $1000+ for 106 series rifles only to find out that they got lemons and how Arsenal NV wouldn't take ownership of their failures.

Why not do what's necessary to fix the customer's rifle that they paid well over $1000 for? This says all you need to know about their attitude towards their customers.

They could have installed a heavy recoil spring and buffer. If I hadn't chopped the barrel, the rifle would have literally beat itself apart. They have warranty in name only. They know customers will eventually get frustrated and give up on them.

I think that you give far too much credit. If they purpose built all of these to be SBR's, then they would have put it in the documentation that the rifle should not be fired until the barrel is chopped. Or, they could have simply permanently attached a fake suppressor to the SBR length barrel in order to make it to 16". To me it's quite obvious that they simply put the wrong size holes in the gas port (for the barrel length) and don't mind selling these defective rifles to their customers.

The "SBR" models were set up with the correct diameter gas port hole for when the barrel would be chopped- not as a 16" barrel. So you could either chop the barrel to reduce pressure while registering it as an SBR or just put a heavier recoil spring with a buffer in if you wanted to run it with the 16" barrel. Later they imported the 107 CR and UR models but put the grommets in the gas ports which everyone complained about because they were difficult to remove etc. Overall though the rifles ran just fine. Thousands were sold with only a handful of issues.

RR77
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 05-14-19 at 11:49.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Indeed. 20 years ago you could get an Eastern Europe AKM for $350. A Colt or Bushmaster AR was double that at least.

Now you can get a decent AR (Smith, Aero, PSA) for $500 and the AK is more than that. You never know.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Indeed. 20 years ago you could get an Eastern Europe AKM for $350. A Colt or Bushmaster AR was double that at least.

Now you can get a decent AR (Smith, Aero, PSA) for $500 and the AK is more than that. You never know.
    Blem PSA kits are $279+shipping right now with a nitride 4150 barrel. The free shipping has gone away. I have a turd Inter Ordnance AKM247. Front sight is crooked (I think) and the rear sight is a sloppy piece of junk. The bolt is peening in a way that isn't good. I haven't shot it in 2 years. Last time was the M77 surplus that may or may not have corroded it. I really don't care. I have 3 AR47 uppers which I absolutely love! No feeding problems.

Maybe before Christmas PSA will have a FDE AK with the Zhukov stock and the smaller MagPul handguard.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I bought a couple of Arsenal AK47 rifles because my crazy AK buddy that's into AK's said buy Arsenal or go home. So I own two. No maS'

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure PSA is any better. Make some poorly cast reunions and throw on some Zhukov stocks

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Not sure PSA is any better. Make some poorly cast reunions and throw on some Zhukov stocks
    Actually all their trunions are forged now. And they let the info out they are going to have some built with FN barrels.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NQNPIII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Actually all their trunions are forged now. And they let the info out they are going to have some built with FN barrels.
    (Gen 1) PSAK-47 has cast trunions. These were discontinued in 2016.
    (Gen 2) PSAK-47 GB2 has billet trunions. These were discontinued early this year.
    (Gen 3) PSAK-47 GF3 has forged trunions. These are the current production.

PSAK-47 GF3 with FN made barrels are suppose to be released around Q4 2019.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NQNPIII View Post
    "now" and "going to" isn't something I spend my money on. It's like saying - they're crap BUUUUT this is one of the good ones! That's ok. I'll stick with those who have been making it correct for decades.

Also, FN barrels don't mean much. They haven't made them, there's no long term reviews of them. Just because it's FN doesn't mean PSA didn't negotiate for some cheap shit. They can make as good a barrel as PSA is willing to pay

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast