Thread: Question about 1943 1911 A1 and parkerizing

Feedback Score

Question about 1943 1911 A1 and parkerizing

So there is this 1943 1911 A1.

It is in great shape. It is parkerized. The front of the slide is discolored and I read that means the slide was original blued "(Du-lite) and this part of the slide ends up darker due to it's heat treatment.

There doesn't seem to be any "rearsenal" marks on the gun.

My question is, did the DoD parkerize formerly "blued" 1911's? Or only private firms?

It's a high quality job.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    So there is this 1943 1911 A1.

It is in great shape. It is parkerized. The front of the slide is discolored and I read that means the slide was original blued "(Du-lite) and this part of the slide ends up darker due to it's heat treatment.

There doesn't seem to be any "rearsenal" marks on the gun.

My question is, did the DoD parkerize formerly "blued" 1911's? Or only private firms?

It's a high quality job.
    The discoloration is usually a result of heat treatment, assuming we're talking about the forward 1/4-1/3 of the slide. Some people say that refinishing makes the color difference more pronounced but being able to see it isn't indication alone of it being refinished, it generally isn't difficult to detect. Pictures will help but educating yourself or working with someone who knows these is the best bet

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

The markings are all a little shallower than they should be. The original inspector mark is barely discernible because it's so shallow.

It's been refinished.

The big question is, did the Army do it?

If not who did?
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-08-19 at 10:15.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've been told and heard over the years by collectors and others that not all arsenal refinishes were marked, I don't know the veracity of this statement. Were the markings media blasted away or buffed? I can't recall seeing any legit arsenal refinish that was buffed out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rm06 View Post
    I've been told and heard over the years by collectors and others that not all arsenal refinishes were marked, I don't know the veracity of this statement. Were the markings media blasted away or buffed? I can't recall seeing any legit arsenal refinish that was buffed out.
    Hmm..I wouldn't know what to look for. (Blasted vs buffed)