Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BCG Problem or Not?

Feedback Score

BCG Problem or Not?

I have a bolt carrier group who's gas key on the right side looks to have a sort of smooth surface and the finish looks somewhat worn. It was like this when new. You can also see a little bit of carbon above and behind the top gas port hole at the edge of where the gas key meets the carrier. Does this seem okay?

For what it's worth, I have shot 200 rounds with this BCG in a new rifle that it came in with no problems, and it is from a reputable company. I've tried to wiggle the gas key at all to make sure it's tight, and there is no movement whatsoever which makes me think there's no leaking. The staking of the gas key screws are quite aggressive as well.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

https://i.imgur.com/DVP6qBk.jpg

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by CajunCourier; 05-07-19 at 20:00.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a single thing wrong with it. Other than, perhaps, that it's too dry and needs some Slip 2000 EWL...
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a single thing wrong with it. Other than, perhaps, that it's too dry and needs some Slip 2000 EWL...
    I have some shipping here because no one carries it around here. Unfortunately it won't be here till Thursday at the earliest...
    But yeah... maybe I'm making something out of nothing.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Yeah, the whole thing just looks dry as a bone to me. Maybe it looks different in person but unless it looks like it's wearing to raw metal I wouldn't think there is an issue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Never mind - apparently I was seeing things.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-07-19 at 22:58.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Stop examining your rifle with a magnifying glass. If there arent chunks of metal missing and the rifle is shooting fine then STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Stop examining your rifle with a magnifying glass. If there arent chunks of metal missing and the rifle is shooting fine then STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT.
    That's awful advice. A man should know his hardware inside and out and be able to spot any potential issues before they develop into serious problems. This goes for guns, cars, house, etc.

I've been a member of this forum for years and it's developed a really strange vibe recently.

It seems like an attitude that if you aren't just blindly shooting your AR like a third worlder with a beat up 1970s AK you aren't in the cool club or something. Guys are chastised for asking about their brand new thousand dollar rifle showing up with scratches and QC issues.

The whole Colt outsourcing thing was amazing to me because guys were legitimately trying to ensure the quality of their rifle, but many users were roasting them with snark saying they shouldn't even be looking to see where their rifle parts came from.

This seems to be accompanied by lots of snarky one liners with text message abbreviations that read like high school Facebook users.

While I can't comment on the OP's BCG I think it's great that he is actually inspecting his weapon and understanding it's function instead of just blasting it until something breaks. That sort of behavior used to be the vibe of this forum - understanding the AR rifle inside and out and becoming a proficient rifleman, not just a gun range goober.
    Last edited by grizzlyblake; 05-08-19 at 06:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    That's awful advice. A man should know his hardware inside and out and be able to spot any potential issues before they develop into serious problems. This goes for guns, cars, house, etc.

I've been a member of this forum for years and it's developed a really strange vibe recently.

It seems like an attitude that if you aren't just blindly shooting your AR like a third worlder with a beat up 1970s AK you aren't in the cool club or something. Guys are chastised for asking about their brand new thousand dollar rifle showing up with scratches and QC issues.

The whole Colt outsourcing thing was amazing to me because guys were legitimately trying to ensure the quality of their rifle, but many users were roasting them with snark saying they shouldn't even be looking to see where their rifle parts came from.

This seems to be accompanied by lots of snarky one liners with text message abbreviations that read like high school Facebook users.

While I can't comment on the OP's BCG I think it's great that he is actually inspecting his weapon and understanding it's function instead of just blasting it until something breaks. That sort of behavior used to be the vibe of this forum - understanding the AR rifle inside and out and becoming a proficient rifleman, not just a gun range goober.
    I agree with you. However, in this specific case, perhaps I’m being too anal.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Somewhere in between where you are and this and you should be GTG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bOT_d60LM

Feedback Score
    What's the other side look like?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCourier View Post
    I have a bolt carrier group who's gas key on the right side looks to have a sort of smooth surface and the finish looks somewhat worn. It was like this when new. You can also see a little bit of carbon above and behind the top gas port hole at the edge of where the gas key meets the carrier. Does this seem okay?

For what it's worth, I have shot 200 rounds with this BCG in a new rifle that it came in with no problems, and it is from a reputable company. I've tried to wiggle the gas key at all to make sure it's tight, and there is no movement whatsoever which makes me think there's no leaking. The staking of the gas key screws are quite aggressive as well.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

https://i.imgur.com/DVP6qBk.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast