Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO’s Chernobyl (2019)

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Radiation is scary? Like most of other similar attempts of man to harness nature, there is risk in tickling the dragon.

Have you read the SL-1 reactor meltdown story? That is horrifying. However, the US tragedy led to improving safety standards the world over. Even the supercritical incidents involving the Demon Core of the Manhattan Project meant that lives lost would push safety developments.

True but in both of those incidents the resounding response is DUH

Like given how SL1 was designed nobody had the foresight to think hey, you know what maybe we shouldn’t design this thing in such away that pulling the MAIN control rod just a little to far will cause the reactor to go critical.

As for the plutonium core in the Manhattan project those incidents read like hubris and really smart people combining. Like here let’s see how close I can get to cheating death and oops, to far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    No these were full grown Moose, Bears, deer, adult mise...etc...
    None of those animals live as long as humans. IIRC, the upper end of life expectancy for moose is 25 years. Consider that the general expected lifespan for a human is 79 years.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    None of those animals live as long as humans. IIRC, the upper end of life expectancy for moose is 25 years. Consider that the general expected lifespan for a human is 79 years.
    Well, 69.79 years for someone born in Ukraine in 1986.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Well, 69.79 years for someone born in Ukraine in 1986.
    What about born in Ukraine in 1982?
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    What about born in Ukraine in 1982?
    68.90. :P
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    68.90. :P
    Shit... I'm middle aged. Time to buy a Corvette.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Wow, I just saw the scene where they pick the swimmers to drain the tanks. Intense.
    Also speaks to the courage and sacrifice made to save millions of lives.

Favorably impressed with the writing, production and acting. Fitting to tell the story.
    Worth the watch, totally.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just want to see an epilogue with dudes in gas masks shooting mutants with LR-300s

There I said it

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There's also an accompanying podcast that goes a little deeper into events and the making of the series.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...t/id1459712981
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Wow, I just saw the scene where they pick the swimmers to drain the tanks. Intense.
    Also speaks to the courage and sacrifice made to save millions of lives.

Favorably impressed with the writing, production and acting. Fitting to tell the story.
    Worth the watch, totally.
    I like that aspect of the show - contrasting the inhumanity/stupidity of the regime with individual acts of bravery. The little speech by the Politburo guy to get volunteers really summarizes what I know of the Russian ethos.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast