Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO’s Chernobyl (2019)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    A great article.

‘Chernobyl’ And Communism
    by Rod Dreher
    https://www.theamericanconservative....and-communism/

"..The heroes here are ordinary people, like the coal miners and Soviet soldiers who come in and risk their lives to do things that cannot be done otherwise. Why do they do it? Because it’s the right thing to do. These are the people that the corrupt system grinds up, and always ground up, but there they are trying to save others from the consequence of the elite’s actions. I suspect that I’m making this sound moralistic and dull, but trust me, it’s anything but in this series. In episode four, there’s a sequence in which a new soldier has to learn from two experienced soldiers, veterans of the Afghan war, how to kill people’s pets without remorse. They have to do this because the pets, which had to be left behind in the evacuation, are too radioactive to be allowed to live. The young man, Pavel, has to harden his conscience, and the older men teach him how to do it, based on their Afghan experience. That, and vodka.

That sequence shows you how the soul-deadening communist system destroys what is human within people. The whole damn show does that. I can’t stop thinking about it. The radiation that poisons everybody and everything is communism."
    "Do you need to be told that even such modest attainments as you boast of in the way of polite society will hardly survive the Faith to which they owe their significance?"
    T.S. Eliot, Choruses from the Rock

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was in stationed in Germany at this time and I hardly remember this incident. But being in the E4 mafia, I was only interested in Bier and Frauleins! I do recall an incident where a "accidental discharge" of a 105mm tank round with depleted uranium was sent into the country side. That was a big deal.

It was not my tank crew.

Feedback Score
    I just finished watching the fourth episode... SAD.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It’s a hard show to watch sometimes but it’s beautifully executed and extremely well-made. Seeing how the Almighty State always flavors the decision-making process is as fascinating as it is horrifying.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Kimda naive but I think if the'd swallowed their pride and asked for an American robot they would have gotten it.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Kimda naive but I think if the'd swallowed their pride and asked for an American robot they would have gotten it.
    Whether they would have or not, the American machine would not have served any better than the West German one, if the Americans were given the same (wrong) information as the Germans were. Assuming that any such machine even existed at the time - or exists today.

And it wasn't that America wouldn't have helped - it was that Soviet pride demanded that they not ask the Americans.

ETA: Shades of the sinking of the submarine Kursk.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 06-03-19 at 22:02.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Very powerful final episode

Great series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Very powerful final episode

Great series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. The whole series should be required watching for any liberal arts major/minor in this country.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdWatcher View Post
    I just finished watching the fourth episode... SAD.
    I almost had to drop out during the dog scene.

I like dogs more than most people.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    lol

Nothing like the interwebz to prove to the world you're the village idiot.

https://www.rt.com/news/460958-chern...ersity-actors/
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast