Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO’s Chernobyl (2019)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I don't have HBO so I can't watch it, but let us know if they talk about how many people were affected. They put out so many conflicting numbers that I don't think anyone knows the truth.
    It is already listed on NetFlix, but you will need to wait for it to be released on DVD or streaming first.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I don't have HBO so I can't watch it, but let us know if they talk about how many people were affected. They put out so many conflicting numbers that I don't think anyone knows the truth.
    No one will even know the truth. The only numbers they have are those who died as a result of direct exposure on site during and immediately after the accident. That is the number the USSR used to show how "it wasn't that bad"

Most were effected by the release of Iodine-131, Caesium-137 and Strontium-90. Unless they can trace the specific isotope of Iodine to every thyroid cancer patient we will never really know. My cousin was a toddler when it happened and also in Kiev. Several years ago she had to have thyroid surgery. Sure we can say it was because of Chernobyl, but there is no way to prove, at this time if it was Chernobyl or some other environmental factor.

They would have to do the same isotope testing for Caesium in people with soft tissue and digestive track cancers. Leukemia and bone cancer for Strontium. I don't think anyone has the money to examine all of that, even in the limited area where those isotopes were deposited in quantities which increase risk.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    No one will even know the truth. The only numbers they have are those who died as a result of direct exposure on site during and immediately after the accident. That is the number the USSR used to show how "it wasn't that bad"

Most were effected by the release of Iodine-131, Caesium-137 and Strontium-90. Unless they can trace the specific isotope of Iodine to every thyroid cancer patient we will never really know. My cousin was a toddler when it happened and also in Kiev. Several years ago she had to have thyroid surgery. Sure we can say it was because of Chernobyl, but there is no way to prove, at this time if it was Chernobyl or some other environmental factor.

They would have to do the same isotope testing for Caesium in people with soft tissue and digestive track cancers. Leukemia and bone cancer for Strontium. I don't think anyone has the money to examine all of that, even in the limited area where those isotopes were deposited in quantities which increase risk.
    It is quite interesting, the after effects. There's still ongoing research into it because no one's quite sure of the long-term effects, due in large part to the fact that no one really has an accurate picture of what and how much fallout was released. Even if you had full access to the USSR's documents on it, you would have to assume that they appreciated the full scale of it at the time for their work to be really meaningful, which I don't think they did because of shear recalcitrance/ignorance.

Anyway, I'm hooked on this mini-series.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wow, streamed the first episode last night. I can't imagine what the budget for this series. Hooked on this one too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just watched a show about Chernobyl exclusion zone. Amazing how wildlife returned and flourished despite the radiation. Many animals have radiation 100x the normal limit and yet perfectly healthy

Feedback Score
    I would wathc some of the documentaries before watching the series, just to get the facts straight first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc-vvhWXL9Q
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Just watched a show about Chernobyl exclusion zone. Amazing how wildlife returned and flourished despite the radiation. Many animals have radiation 100x the normal limit and yet perfectly healthy
    Because they don't live long enough for it to effect them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Because they don't live long enough for it to effect them.
    No these were full grown Moose, Bears, deer, adult mise...etc...

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Episode 2 off to a good start.

Also, radiation is terrifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Radiation is scary? Like most of other similar attempts of man to harness nature, there is risk in tickling the dragon.

Have you read the SL-1 reactor meltdown story? That is horrifying. However, the US tragedy led to improving safety standards the world over. Even the supercritical incidents involving the Demon Core of the Manhattan Project meant that lives lost would push safety developments.

The Russians or China will sell the reactors, but well-heeled Middle Eastern countries still want the US’s nuclear safety culture. The tragedy in Chernobyl was the similarity to Three Mile Island in the US. The fact the Ukrainian operators made similar mistakes meant they were playing Russian Roulette by not learning from the mistakes of others.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast