Thread: Need armor. Have $400

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Need armor. Have $400

Let's say someone has $400 and needs armor. This has to be one of the following options:

Plate carrier ($150, because it's going to be the AWS PC) + $250 in armor = $400

Soft armor = $400

What do you get?

Feedback Score
    MrGunsandgear just did a level IV review on plates for $99 each. That's what I'd get if I needed something.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    MrGunsandgear just did a level IV review on plates for $99 each. That's what I'd get if I needed something.

I was impressed by the performance of the Battle Steel plates in the video, but would be concerned about the QA/QC on an item like this. It also comes from Botach which isn't known as a very good vendor if there was an issue.

I might eventually buy some of these but going to wait a bit to see if any negatives pop up. I am sure he sold a ton of them for Botach with that vid

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post

Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    I was impressed by the performance of the Battle Steel plates in the video, but would be concerned about the QA/QC on an item like this. It also comes from Botach which isn't known as a very good vendor if there was an issue.

I might eventually buy some of these but going to wait a bit to see if any negatives pop up. I am sure he sold a ton of them for Botach with that vid
    I saw that and it's pretty wild that we live in a time where you can get $150-200 red dots, a $360 m&p 2.0, $100 plates.

I'm not going to lie I posted this same question on 3 different platforms to see what people recommended.

This forum and arf don't refute videos of proof of people shooting cheaper armor and it holds up. Reddit on the other hand, god forbid you get something that isn't nij certified.

I understand both schools of though, but it's funny how we have no problem buying a piece of ar500 steel to shoot a thousand times for targets and never see a penetration, but those same people will tell you not to buy the armor.

Feedback Score
    If you are on a budget and weight isn't a huge issue, the AR500 III+ plates seem like a solid option if you want something rifle rated. https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-arm...ody-armor.html

I have a set of their Level III+ plates (advanced shooters cut in front, and square in back), with multi curve and build up coat, and i think it was around $260 for the front and back plates. Their Level III+ is rated for multi-hit protection against 5.56x45 M193, 5.56x45 M855/SS109 at 3,100 FPS (+/- 30FPS), 7.62x51 M80 Ball (ie .308) at 3,000 FPS (+/- 30FPS), and DEA Certified.

Keep in mind, they are steel, so they aren't light. I wouldn't want to hump around with them for hours on end, but to throw on in an emergency, they are great, and get great reviews

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    If you are on a budget and weight isn't a huge issue, the AR500 III+ plates seem like a solid option if you want something rifle rated. https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-arm...ody-armor.html

I have a set of their Level III+ plates (advanced shooters cut in front, and square in back), with multi curve and build up coat, and i think it was around $260 for the front and back plates. Their Level III+ is rated for multi-hit protection against 5.56x45 M193, 5.56x45 M855/SS109 at 3,100 FPS (+/- 30FPS), 7.62x51 M80 Ball (ie .308) at 3,000 FPS (+/- 30FPS), and DEA Certified.

Keep in mind, they are steel, so they aren't light. I wouldn't want to hump around with them for hours on end, but to throw on in an emergency, they are great, and get great reviews
    I currently have a similar set weighing in at 13 pounds for both. Just seeing what else is out there.

Feedback Score
    At $100 it might be worth buying one to test before buying a set. Even at a $300 investment it's still a good deal.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I like how everyone throws out their pet brand without asking what the OP's threat profile is.

Feedback Score
    I have a full set of Poly plates and carrier for sale.