Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is There a Budget Pistol You'd Trust Your Life To?

Feedback Score
    Taurus has a few revolvers in .38 Spl. and .357 Mag. that come in just below the $300 mark.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    $300?

Caniks would be it for a budget pistol you can find at Sportsman's Warehouse. And I'm not sure I'd trust one.
    Really? I thought Caniks had a good reputation.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Really? I thought Caniks had a good reputation.
    I've heard good things about them.

Doesn't mean I trust 'em.

ETA: I'd trust a Canik way more than I'd trust anything that says, "Taurus," on it, though.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I've heard good things about them.

Doesn't mean I trust 'em.

ETA: I'd trust a Canik way more than I'd trust anything that says, "Taurus," on it, though.

LOL. True that.

What started this off is a lady friend of mine asked me if I would recommend the Ruger EC9S and I had to tell her truthfully I didn't know anything about it except that spare mags are about $35.

Then she asked me what I would recommend and I said that I had a Ruger LCP but hadn't really shot it much. I told her I'd ask around and see what people thought.

As far as milsurp, the thought crossed my mind that I could steer her to the LGS and have them order something from AIM Surplus--that's how that came into the mix.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Before I ever read some of the replies, I immediately thought of the cz52 and tt-33. While they leave a bit to be desired in portability, they're powerful and reliable. I had a surplus Star BM as well. While it was always reliable for shooting for as long as I owned it, I wasn't sold on durability. The steel can be soft and parts like fp's are known to break. I'm sure the MAK's are probably good too, but I have no experience with them. I know a few guys who've had good luck with Bersa, but again, no personal experience.

Once you set the budget at $300, the Shield is my immediate reply. It's chambered in solid defensive cartridges, is accurate, easy to use and reliable. I just don't see a reason to go any lower. If I were making a recommendation for an elderly/infirm person, I'd go with a Beretta Tomcat in .32acp. They have a bit more generous safety than the Bobcats in smaller chamberings. I'd recommend carrying it cocked an locked in a quality holster unless the user has the hand strength to deal with the DA first shot.

Edit: Geez, when did Tomcats get so expensive? Even 21A's are over $300 now!
    Last edited by glocktogo; 05-08-19 at 15:06.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm guessing she's not going to be carrying a full size gun or one that weighs a lot or a striker fired in a purse. Rules out a lot of guns.

Toks can't be carried loaded

P64 has an incredibly heavy trigger pull

Maks weigh a good 20+ oz, about as much as a G19.

I would narrow down what she intends to carry vs what's inexpensive. Because if she can save $300 she can save another $100 but weight and size or action type don't change.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Once you set the budget at $300, the Shield is my immediate reply.
    Before I started this thread I almost recommended this too. Through Gallery of Guns the LGS price is roughly $340.00 or just over my friend's budget (Hell I'd give her a damn box of ammo to make sure she gets a good gun if money is the problem). IIRC the mags are about the price of Glock mags too.

I was hoping for more replies on the Ruger EC9S, though, since that's specifically the one mentioned.

If nobody has any experience with one of these I may just try to push the Shield.

Feedback Score
    DOUBLE TAP. WTF???
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 05-08-19 at 14:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Before I started this thread I almost recommended this too. Through Gallery of Guns the LGS price is roughly $340.00 or just over my friend's budget (Hell I'd give her a damn box of ammo to make sure she gets a good gun if money is the problem). IIRC the mags are about the price of Glock mags too.

I was hoping for more replies on the Ruger EC9S, though, since that's specifically the one mentioned.

If nobody has any experience with one of these I may just try to push the Shield.
    How did she manage to get $300?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a Ruger LC9S Pro. It has been completely reliable for me. I did buy an extra mag for it that gave me problems but out of the box the gun and the magazine it came with have been flawless. I have a friend who has the LC9 (hammer fired version) and he has had magazine issues as well. The plastic follower binds up and doesn’t feed the next round. We managed to fix both mags with some sandpaper and lube but it doesn’t inspire confidence. I carried it a lot summer before last but now I just carry my Glock 26 when I need something small. The EC9S you’re asking about looks pretty much like the same pistol, and I’m sure uses the same mags. Even though my specific gun has been fine I don’t think I’d recommend it to anybody based on the issues with the magazines I’ve seen.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast