Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Is There a Budget Pistol You'd Trust Your Life To?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Is There a Budget Pistol You'd Trust Your Life To?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Maybe the Walther PPS M2. To answer the original question. On sale around $269.
    Another good suggestion at the price point. A friend has one and the ergos are really nice. I thought there was a recall recently of some kind?

Edit: my memory does work sometimes!

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...safety-recall/
    Last edited by Vegas; 05-10-19 at 13:15.

Feedback Score
    Hard to beat a shield. People with small hands shoot them surprisingly well with a little instruction.
    They are accurate and very durable given the type of gun and price point.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Weird thread.

If the girl is in such immediate danger that she needs a gun right now and can't afford one, give her one of yours or call the police.

Or loan her $500 for a G19 and let her pay you back over a few months if she actually wants a good quality gun.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Good point, but it is the one with the side safety.
    That's a mistake.

No safety, add this: RCS Vanguard 2.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Link?
    If you can tolerate PSA, the price and free shipping is hard to beat. https://palmettostatearmory.com/walt...k-2805961.html

Feedback Score
    S&W SD9 would be my choice. To be honest Makarov are fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    While an admitted Gun Snob, I often rely on an old Ruger P95DC (P95D? I'd have to pull it out of its Super Secret Squirrel Hiding Spot to check the actual nomenclature.)

This is, in my humble opinion, the peak of the Ruger P-series, glass reinforced plastic, sorry - polymer, frame, stainless slide, decock only, 15 utterly reliable rounds of any 9mmP you care to feed it. The DA/SA was passe by the time it was released but is now, somehow, coming back into favor - my how time flys.

It was purchased to ride in the (locking) saddlebags of a touring motorcycle and did yeoman's work in that roll. If needed, it would perform, if wet, it wouldn't matter, if stolen, I wasn't out a terrible amount. It's been repurposed now, but still continues to belch out .36 slugs with boring regularity and with a DA trigger far too smooth for it's price point.

Depending on how you look at it, it was a pistol a too late or too early for its time.

Feedback Score
    For a budget pistol that's a quality piece I'd go with a surplus CZ-82. 9mm Makarov that holds 12 shots. SA/DA and can be carried cocked and locked if need be. Polygonal rifling like a glock and is being sold for a little less than $300. Small enough to fit in a purse or large pocket.
    Paranoia is more than a personality trait, it's a survival skill.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Doc, if that is the way your friend chooses to go, I imagine you'll talk to her of the potential dangers of carry a striker fired pistol, such as the Shield, loose in a purse.

Good point, but it is the one with the side safety.
    I love that you are willing to help this lady out Doc, but I'm gonna side with 26 Inf here. Never a good idea to carry a weapon lose in a purse. Any items being banged around in there enough to activate the trigger could also activate the safety... If you're gonna help her, the best way to do that is to train her. She needs a holster, or something with a heavy double action first pull.

Now, under $300 budget handguns... I made a deal on a used 9mm for $170 yesterday. Thing is I don't even know what one. LOL. Was with my father-in-law at a gun shop and he found the Stevens single shot 20 ga he's been looking for. He wanted to go home, and get a pistol to trade.

After chewing him out about the pistol he sold a couple weeks ago (just because he wanted some money in his pocket) I told him "Never sell a firearm again." (I've regretted every one I've ever let go of) I bought him the shotgun, and I get the 9mm. Probably pick it up later today, or tomorrow. Hope it's not junk. Besides my son will probably inherit the shotgun in a few years anyway...

Now, if I can just get my hands on that Mauser his uncle brought back from Italy...
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 05-12-19 at 08:25.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    20 to 25 years ago, the answer to this question was easily a Makarov. $125 to $150 at the time and they just run and run. Now they're more collectible and the prices have gone up.

Today for a full size gun I'd recommend the SAR B6P. It's a quality gun that happens to be inexpensive.
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sarb6...l#.XNjdJuRYZ9A

Another full size option is the S&W SD9 or SD40. The trigger pull is long, but that's the only downside.
    https://gun.deals/product/smith-wess...shipping-27999

If a compact pistol is desired, then a Shield or PPS M2 are good options. I carry a PPS M2 and price has nothing to do with it.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast