Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: KISS Rifles

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

KISS Rifles

I would like to see some peoples KISS Rifles. I currently have one that is pretty much stock. I just swapped out the Carry handle for a MBUS to shave a bit of weight off. I don't even think I am going to add an Optic at this point.

I am curious to see what your Version of KISS is.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    this was originally gonna be an SDM-R, and still will be.. but once I got it together, it was the closest thing to an M16A2 i'd owned in a long time, and nostalgia kicked in. i had some carry handles lying around, so i plopped one on and called it "Rifle."

it now sports a 2-point and XTMs. i'll put a K or so through it and enjoy the kiss-ness while i build a true 20" A2-style rifle, then finish with a bipod, larue SPR/leupy combo, and krylon. if it wasn't a Noveske barrel/MUR, i'd keep it just like this and forget the A2 build.

Feedback Score
    KISS is my middle name -- I can't afford to go "tacticoooooool"

10.5" XM177 "clone"

14.5" Frankenstein

16" Bushmaster ORC (Optical Ready Carbine)
    Last edited by hotwheelsjr; 05-22-09 at 22:40.

Feedback Score
    As good a time as any to introduce myself ... I got lucky, in that being brand new to the AR gig, I don't think I made any bad choices:

I wanted:

a) a carbine length for a "truck gun;"
    b) a collapsible stock to aid in short length and variable shooting positions;
    c) a holosight;
    d) reliability.

This Colt LE6920 with an Eotech and Troy folding rear has been perfect in all respects. I have since added an Ergo grip, and I believe that is "it" as far as modifications go.

I've only had it about a month and already have ten or eleven feral hogs to its credit.

That might include two with the Baer.
    Last edited by Flatland45; 05-22-09 at 22:31.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    New LMT Defender SOPMOD w/ MBUS. Might get an optic, might get a rail and flashlight. Heck, might just get a fixed iron sight and call it good. We'll see as I get this thing broke in and build the blow money account back up.

Hang up and drive.

Luke 22:35-38

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There's three kinds of KISS. There's keeping the rifle to the bare minimum but still taking advantage of technology to increase your effectiveness with it (RDS, light, BUIS, sling), there's keeping the gun closer to stock for a specific purpose like keeping costs down for a loaner or truck gun, and there's sticking your head in the sand refusing to acknowledge potential improvements to the system out of some kind of stubbornness or need to be anachronistic.

My version

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I think of a KISS rifle as somewhere between Rob_S 's options 2 and 3, though I don't see #3 as being hardheaded. I see a KISS rifle as simple, with as little to go wrong on it as possible. It should be lightweight and easy to handle. It will not be your "go to every time" gun, but it could fill all roles evenly, though not as good in some as others. At least by my definition, some of the hallmarks are:

- A2 or A1 sights - I guess a BUIS would be o.k., as long as you aren't mounting optics
    - NO OPTICAL DEVICES
    - Standard M4 or A2 stock
    - Standard handguards
    - light or no light - having a light and perhaps a tritium front post are the two concessions I would make on a KISS rifle

I'm in the process of building my KISS/ IDF carbine. I'll have pics up soon. The features of mine:

- Original M16A1 upper
    - Colt lightweight 1/9 barrel
    - Colt Govt. Carbine lower
    - Original Colt 2-position stock
    - A1 grip
    - Single heat shield CAR handguards
    Last edited by sundance435; 05-23-09 at 09:58.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    I guess I should have better defines what I see as a KISS rifle.
    It is similar to what Sundance just said. Basic sights, no rails, no optics, no lights, etc.

It isn't from some misguided thought that any of this new fangled stuff can't be trusted. It is more of just a fun project to build a lite simple rifle.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast