Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Several new TQs approved by TC3 Committee

Feedback Score
    I don’t have personal experience with the SWATT, but a TEMS medic who was teaching a course at my department said SWATT’s are good for ped patients

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by younggrasshopper View Post
    I don’t have personal experience with the SWATT, but a TEMS medic who was teaching a course at my department said SWATT’s are good for ped patients
    And pets who usually have much smaller limbs!
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by younggrasshopper View Post
    Fair warning; they’re also slick as shit when they get wet with blood. I have two in my aid bag, mostly for K9 use, as I do prefer the CAT for its ease of use and reliability.

For what it’s worth, there is data coming out supporting a standard CAT on school age children.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...43/6/e20183447
    Last edited by GTF425; 10-08-19 at 19:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SWAT-T is GTG on peds and animals. It's also a great compression wrap, longer than an ACE/control wrap, less slip on placement and more consistent during movement. It rolls smaller and can also be used for other splinting and packaging tasks. It's slippery when wet and can be hard to use in irregular positions.

I keep a bunch around, mindful of these attributes.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    SWAT-T is GTG on peds and animals. It's also a great compression wrap, longer than an ACE/control wrap, less slip on placement and more consistent during movement. It rolls smaller and can also be used for other splinting and packaging tasks. It's slippery when wet and can be hard to use in irregular positions.

I keep a bunch around, mindful of these attributes.
    I agree. I see it more as an adjunct and less as a for-real TQ. Never put one on peds, but they are awesome as a compression wrap.

Feedback Score
    I don't know if anyone has had to move a patient with a SWAT-T, in training or for realsies, but depending on how and where they are applied, they are less than ideal. Still a decent secondary device.

That being said, if a limb is too small for a CAT 7. Often times direct pressure or an izzie dressing is more than plenty.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    I don't know if anyone has had to move a patient with a SWAT-T, in training or for realsies, but depending on how and where they are applied, they are less than ideal.
    Say more?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Fair warning; they’re also slick as shit when they get wet with blood. I have two in my aid bag, mostly for K9 use, as I do prefer the CAT for its ease of use and reliability.

For what it’s worth, there is data coming out supporting a standard CAT on school age children.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...43/6/e20183447
    That’s pretty cool regarding the CAT specifically designed for peds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Say more?
    I've found that by nature of their design, they don't stay as secure as the windlass style TQ's. Especially when under a lot of tension around a large thigh for example. Moving or dragging patients it's been problematic on a few occasions. They work better as pressure dressings when they aren't wrapped as tightly.

I have plenty of SWAT-T's on hand and appreciate the versatility (Secondary TQ, splinting, sling, pressure dressing etc.), but a SOFT-W folds up just as small, is a better TQ, and like I stated before, if a limb is too small for a SOFTT or CAT, direct pressure or a pressure dressing is usually enough.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    Have any of you guys trained with the NATO tourniquets? I imagine they’d be more effective than the elastic solutions in the marketplace.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast