Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New build with VLTOR A5 Kit...Go with ADJ or NA Gas Block?

Feedback Score

New build with VLTOR A5 Kit...Go with ADJ or NA Gas Block?

I'm building a 16" middy. This is my first time using the VLTOR A5 Kit and buffer tube. Could there be any benefits to using the A5 system with an adjustable gas block? Or does the A5 buffer work best with a non adjustable gas block?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

New build with VLTOR A5 Kit...Go with ADJ or NA Gas Block?

The A5 will function just fine without an adj. gas block. I don’t use adjustable GB’s on any of my builds any longer. When I did it was more about the rifle itself and what I was trying to do with the adjustable gas block, the gas port size of my barrel and the A5 really did not factor into whether I used one or not. My point of view as I’ve made on some other threads is that the adjustable GB introduce a potential failure point that a non-adjustable gas block doesn’t have. So I wouldn’t use one. Out of curiosity, do you happen to know the gas port size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 05-28-19 at 04:18.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Whether or not an adjustable gas block will be useful has nothing to do with the buffer & spring. It's entirely dependant on gas port diameter. If the gas port diameter it's too large, an adjustable gas block will be useful. If the gas port is the right size or smaller, an adjustable gas block is as useless as teats on a boar hog.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The A5 is a great buffer system, but is not a replacement for proper gassing.

Do your research before buying the barrel.

Choose a 16" with the correct gas port and that will eliminate the need for an adjustable gas block.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Since you’ll need to buy a gas tube anyway, you can always go with one of Clint’s EZTune gas tubes as an alternative to an adjustable block.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

Choose a 16" with the correct gas port and that will eliminate the need for an adjustable gas block.
    Clint, is .076 the recommended custom tune gas port size for a 16" Wylde Mid? I have a lot of match grade .223 ammo to shoot but plan to shoot 5.56 too. All of it will be brass.

I should know tomorrow what the gas port size is.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)

Sound advice. Also, depending on the rifle's purpose, less adjustability may be a feature and not a bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Ports flow a little better, so 073 is the standard recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyTwoTone View Post
    Clint, is .076 the recommended custom tune gas port size for a 16" Wylde Mid? I have a lot of match grade .223 ammo to shoot but plan to shoot 5.56 too. All of it will be brass.

I should know tomorrow what the gas port size is.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Ports flow a little better, so 073 is the standard recommendation.
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'ports flow a little better'. You mean non adjustable ports?

The specified gas port diameter on my Lothar Walther 16" mid is .076". If the actual turns out to be true to that number would you still recommend one of your inserts for only a 3 thousandth difference?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Whether or not an adjustable gas block will be useful has nothing to do with the buffer & spring. It's entirely dependant on gas port diameter. If the gas port diameter it's too large, an adjustable gas block will be useful. If the gas port is the right size or smaller, an adjustable gas block is as useless as teats on a boar hog.

This right here.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast