Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun: Sept 7-8, Park City, KY

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

2019 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun: Sept 7-8, Park City, KY

As usual - the best place by far to stay up to date and informed of all the discussions of this event is the Facebook Event Page at https://www.facebook.com/events/603980326679388/. Click "Interested" or "Going" and check your notification settings and you should be dinged any time anything new is posted there. Maybe. Hell - FB is a big phat mystery to me most of the time so I just do the best I can!

For anti-FBers I will try to repost what I think is important here, so here goes:

This Match celebrates the traditions of the Green Beret’s and the legacy of Special Forces from WWII to present. Stages are based on the history of 5th Special Forces Group from Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq to the destruction of IS and the current fight. Participants will be challenged both mentally and physically to balance both their intellect and skills on the clock, or against the threat.

This match is an opportunity to test rifle and pistol skills in stages based on combat situations faced by members of The Legion throughout their history. Both a 5k(ish) with [TBD] shooting stages and a 10k(ish) with [TBD] shooting stages will be offered, so you can choose your level of challenge. Match fees will be a little bit higher this year to better benefit the SFA: $100 for the 5k and $150 for the 10k.

Proceeds from this match will be donated to the Special Forces Association, Chapter 38 – an organization dedicated to supporting the Soldiers and families of the Special Forces Community.

For an idea what you might expect, check out last year's match video at https://youtu.be/_Y-38wzV29A or match pictures by Lisa Stennett at https://www.flickr.com/photos/163548...13389221/page1

WHAT YOU NEED:
    Minimum Rifle Round Count: TBD (10k) or TBD (5k)
    Minimum Pistol Round Count: TBD (10k) or TBD (5k)
    (Recommend carrying 2 x minimum rnd count. Also, there will be a side matches you can shoot as well)
    - Rifle that can reach out to 300 yds
    - Rifle sling
    - Enough rifle magazines to hold the minimum rifle round count at least
    - Enough rifle magazine pouches to hold your rifle magazines
    - Pistol with secure holster (must cover trigger guard)
    - Enough pistol magazines to hold the minimum pistol round count at least
    - Enough pistol magazine pouches to hold your pistol magazines
    - Headlamp for navigating the cave to/from the shooting portion (you cannot use a weapon mounted light for navigating the cave)
    - Tac light (pistol mounted or hand held) for the shooting portion in the cave
    - Clear Eye Protection
    - Hearing Protection

TIMELINE:
    7 SEPT
    0630 - Registration
    0730 - Shooters Meeting/Safety Brief
    0800 - First Runner
    TBD - Awards Ceremony

8 SEPT
    0630 - Registration
    0730 - Shooters Meeting/Safety Brief
    0800 - First Runner
    TBD - Awards Ceremony

Questions - post on this event page as you're probably not the only one with the question. Or you can contact:

Match Director
    Matt Stennett
    mstennett@twlakes.net

All pictures by Lisa Stennett

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Signing in for up dates. One of those anti-facebookers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    Signing in for up dates. One of those anti-facebookers.
    You are not alone!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Someone asked me for more details on the charity this match benefits:

The Special Forces Association essentially takes care of the SF guys' families while they are gone - hopefully temporarily, but sometimes forever (in the case of the Gold Star Families). A water heater goes out while one of the guys is in Syria? SFA buys his wife a new water heater. A soldier is injured and stuck in a hospital in Germany/KSA/whoknowswhere? SFA buys his wife a plane ticket to visit him. An injured hero comes home and can't get around his own house because it's not handicap-friendly? SFA is there to help. Basically all the things Big Army doesn't do that fall through the cracks - SFA takes up the slack.

Chapter 38 is the local chapter who takes care of SF soldiers at Ft. Campbell, so all your money stays local and supports the guys we all know.

More info on the SFA in general can be found here: http://www.specialforcesassociation.org/ This is a National Association, with local Chapters assigned to each area.

Anyone with direct knowledge PLEASE feel free to correct me or add to my description - this is the best I can do from my limited involvement so far. Any misrepresentations are due to my own ignorance.

Feedback Score
    I tried this match last year & yep, I was "that guy that dropped a hot pistol on stage 1". DQ doesn't mean Dairy Queen! I'm going to try again this year but will have a friggin lanyard.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    I tried this match last year & yep, I was "that guy that dropped a hot pistol on stage 1". DQ doesn't mean Dairy Queen! I'm going to try again this year but will have a friggin lanyard.
    I hate that for you! If it makes you feel any better, it happens to someone at almost every match. You are not alone.

But so far it has never happened to the same guy twice. ;-)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had a great meeting with a couple of my SF counterparts this weekend, and we now have some of the basics nailed down. Here's what we know so far:

1. Registration will open in early July. I'll give a "two week warning" with a specific date and time. Plan to be close to a computer then with credit card in hand as these sell out VERY quickly.

2. We will have a 5k-ish run on Saturday with 5 shooting stages and a $100 match fee, and a 10k-ish run on Sunday with 7 shooting stages and a $150 match fee. 100% of the match fee will go to the Special Forces Association, Chapter 38.

3. There will be several other opportunities for fun around that weekend - the guys are going for more of a "family atmosphere" or "carnival feel", so think about bringing your families and be sure to look out for these other things.

4. All stages will be shot "blind" in that you won't know what you are doing until you run up on the stage and receive the stage brief. 5th Group doesn't know exactly what they're in for until they arrive onsite, so neither will you. Vignettes will be published ahead of time so you can understand the events each stage is based on - but that is more to share the stories and remember the heroes than it is to give you intel on shooting details.

Photo by Lisa Stennett

Last edited by Matt in TN; 06-10-19 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Registration will open at 10:00am CST on Saturday, July 6th. Payment will be required in full when you register: $100 for the 5k, or $150 for the 10k. These sell out in minutes every year, so make plans to be near a computer with your credit card in hand at that time to be sure you get in.

If you are active duty (ESPECIALLY if you are deployed), I will cut you some slack. Reach out to me and let me know what your situation is and I'll see what I can do to help to get you registered. Active duty folks get priority at this match.

Here's the link for the 5k registration: https://www.practiscore.com/5k-legio...-2019/register

And here's the link for the 10k registration: https://www.practiscore.com/10k-legi...-2019/register

You will need a free Practiscore account to register. Don't wait until July 6th to try to sign up for an account!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I’ll be at airborne school for most of that month... someday I’ll make one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’ll be at airborne school for most of that month... someday I’ll make one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry man - Airborne school sounds pretty dang cool too though!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast