Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun: Sept 7-8, Park City, KY

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reminder: Registration opens this Saturday at 10:00am Central Time. Be near a computer with a credit card in-hand if you want to get it – these sell out quickly!

And for those who have never done a RNG before, or who have never run a Legion match before: don’t underestimate the difficulty. For a 5k road race, the winner will usually finish in 13-15 minutes. Average runners will take 20-30 minutes. Walkers will take 45-60 minutes to finish. Last year at the Legion match, the FASTEST 5k finisher was on the course for 85 minutes. The AVERAGE course time was 136 minutes, and the poor guy who trudged the entire course was out there for 215 minutes (3 ½ hours!).

Typical winning 10k road race times are around 30 minutes, with average runners finishing in an hour or so. Our fastest 10k guy was on the Legion course last year for 129 minutes (over 2 hours!). The average course time for everyone was 3 ½ hours, and our hardest-working-refused-to-quit dude came in at just under 5 hours.

Weather was a HUGE factor last year, so it MAY not be that bad this year. But we will still have those famous Kentucky hills, lots of people carrying heavy loads, getting lost, and stopping to shoot along the way. I’m not saying this to scare you off – just the contrary. If you put your mind to it, YOU CAN DO IT. But pace yourself, bring plenty of hydration and nutrition, and anything else you think you might need to finish the course.

No one would EVER underestimate the guys from the 5th Special Forces Group. Don’t even think of underestimating the Legion 9/11 Memorial Match they put on either.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The full Rules & Procedures document is downloadable from Practiscore when you register, but since many of you won't take the time to read it before registering tomorrow for fear of not getting in, here are the important parts:

There are three equipment classes to reflect the different ways Green Berets fight: “Lightfighter” in which you can carry whatever you want, but are limited to one pistol and one rifle; “Operator” in which you must wear body armor with plates installed (front and back at a minimum), and are still limited to one pistol and rifle; and “Tier One” in which you must FINISH the race with a pack weighing at least 45 lbs (not including your main rifle and pistol) – but that pack may (and should) contain ANYTHING that can give you an advantage. The only limit is that pistol targets must be engaged with pistol rounds, and rifle targets must be engaged with rifle rounds. Want to carry a PCC? Be our guest. Think a scoped bolt gun or different upper in 6.5 Creedmore will give you an advantage? Go for it. You can even carry a shotgun to engage steel pistol targets if you want (birdshot only). Any weapons carried must be IN ADDITION to a primary rifle and pistol, and weight of the pack must be stand-alone (a plate carrier would not be included or required, for example). Packs may be removed prior to shooting, as that is how 5th Group would generally do it as well – but this will be done on your run time and BEFORE any wait time starts.

Shooters will be disqualified (DQ’d) and not allowed to finish the course for the following violations: dropping a loaded pistol, having a loaded rifle anywhere EXCEPT at a shooting stage after the "beep", pointing a loaded weapon at someone, or having a Negligent Discharge (ND). It is solely the judgement of my Staff that I trust if these should occur, and if you argue with an RO you will lose.

We will be shooting steel targets, so no penetrator, steel core, or green tip ammo will be allowed. To be safe - if a magnet sticks to the bullet, leave it at home.

Any active or former 5th Group should contact me directly to register at mstennett@twlakes.net - I'm saving several slots for you guys and your match fee is half-price. Thanks for all you do!
    Last edited by Matt in TN; 07-05-19 at 14:29.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I am putting in a weather request. Low 70's about 20% humidity and a slight breeze please.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    I am putting in a weather request. Low 70's about 20% humidity and a slight breeze please.
    You need to go a bit higher up the chain of command to get weather requests done. And I've heard He gives you what you NEED, not necessarily what you WANT.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here's where we stand with registration so far. I'm surprised we have more people going Tier One than last year - but we also have more going Lightfighter. Operator seems to be the least popular, but still has a pretty solid showing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wake-up call: match day is only 8 weeks away. If you haven't been training already, you really should be!

For those of you who have never done anything like this before, post up here every single time you do something to prepare - CELEBRATE every small victory! They really matter.

For old RNG veterans who train 6 days a week already, post up your training plan and a weekly update - both to keep you honest and to let others know what is possible.

Photo by Lisa Stennett

I'll start: I'm doing an 8 week "Intermediate 10k" training plan from https://www.verywellfit.com/10k-trai...hedule-2911612

I chose it because I want to increase the number of interval training and "tempo run" days over my previous training plan to try to get my speed up. I'm adding tire flips, jumps, and drags on the "easy" days because last year's Legion match unceremoniously pointed out I need more strength training. The long runs on the weekend I'm going to add a weight vest and try my best to make trail runs instead of just plain road runs, and the "cross training day" will be swimming.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Watch running too much with a weight vest. I got the 40 lb one from walmart and ran with it for a few days. My knees were not happy with me. I think where it helped me the most for last year's was going to our local high school football field and flipping tractor tires, pulling/dragging tires on ropes and weighted bleacher runs. I also pushed the tackle dummies. Bleachers help with the hill climbs. Dragging that dummy was no joke, he is a heavy sucker.

This year I am doing more stationary bike on the hardest setting, easier on my 41 y/o knees. More body weight workout in the basement with the weight vest, pullups/chinups, dips, burpees, squats, lunges, step ups, etc...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I like the spartacus workouts as well. I don't do them by time but by weight or reps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice! I only run with weight once a week now. When I first started this I ran with weight 5 times a week and it was way too much - my joints just couldn't take it. Once a week is a good compromise.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I think our football field is still under 6 ft of water. Has been for the past 3 months. Guess it would make for a good swimming area, minus the giant snapping turtles and sewage. Nothing like all the junk in the mississippi river.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast