Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun: Sept 7-8, Park City, KY

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Hard to see the ledge with a hat on. Now that I know how the cave works it is much faster to shoot. I need to take it more serious to cut out the little mistake stuff.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ROUND COUNT: It's complicated. Anyone who shot last year knows that you can engage some targets in different ways (paper needs 3 hits rifle or 5 hits pistol, for example), and doing well on the mental tests may mean you can skip some targets penalty-free. So I'll say this a few different ways and you can judge how much ammo to bring.

If you shoot it exactly as I intend, NEVER MISS a shot, and observe, remember, and put to use intel at the proper times on 100% of the mental tests, you'll need 72 rifle rounds and 46 pistol rounds (for the 5k) and 106 rifle rounds and 56 pistol rounds (for the 10k).

If you fail every mental test but NEVER MISS a shot, you'll need 40 more pistol rounds and God knows how many more rifle rounds. If your rifle goes down or you run out of rifle ammo, you'll need a BUNCH more pistol rounds.

If you're running Tier One and want to bring and use other weapons: there will be 15 pistol steel, 20 paper torsos, and 39 rifle steel of various types for the 10k. 10 less pistol steel and 26 less rifle steel for the 5k. Pistol steel can be shot with PCC or shotgun (bird shot only). Paper can be shot with PCC, pistol, or rifle (5 hits with pistol rounds, 3 hits with rifle). Rifle steel can be shot with rifle, pistol, or PCC. Intel suggests the chances for drones in the area this year are slim. Some rifle steel will require multiple hits.

And remember: you can carry a loaded pistol as long as it's safely secured in your holster. If you drop that loaded pistol at any point on the course, you get a match DQ and are done for the day. You decide if carrying loaded is worth the risk, or whether you'd rather play it safe and carry unloaded (we just laugh at you if you drop an unloaded pistol - no DQ). You can NOT carry any other weapon loaded.

When in doubt, BRING MORE AMMO. I highly suggest you bring at least twice the round count above. Maybe more if your mental facilities dull when you get tired (as most do!).
    Last edited by Matt in TN; 08-19-19 at 09:18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    5th Group's long term goal is to turn this into a "Family Fun Day" for their folks as much as it is an event for us - so in addition to food trucks and concerts they have a generous donor bringing horses, caregivers, and airsoft guns and will be performing "raids" on various locations around the property. This is primarily aimed at the kids of 5th Group soldiers - so definitely let them go first if there any in line waiting.

However, "raids" will be available to the public in exchange for a donation to the SFA if you'd like to bring your own families out to play. The more families we can have show up, the more it will show that a "family day" is a worthy effort and idea for these guys - and you get to support 5th Group in the process.

And I can hear the questions already: "Can adults go on the raids???" Ask the caregiver - we'll see. :-)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reminder: this Saturday (August 24th) at midnight is the deadline to withdraw and still receive a 1/2 refund of you match fee. Any withdrawals after Saturday will receive NO REFUND.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reminder: You will need eye and ear protection to shoot. Running with eyes and ear sucks, so either deal with it or take the time to take it off when running and put it back on before shooting. You will not be allowed to shoot if you show up at a stage without it, and will receive a score of ZERO for that stage.

You will also want to bring along a stopwatch of some kind so you can record any wait time you might have. If you run up to a stage and someone is already shooting, you get a "time out" and need to start your stopwatch (the RO should instruct you to do so). This time will be subtracted from your run time. However - you can not use this free time to reconfigure gear, drink, eat, rest, etc. It is simply a "time out" and should provide you no added advantage over those who have to run up and start shooting right away.

You may also want to strongly consider bringing a small pad of paper and a pencil (or some other way to record important information) if your memory is not perfect when you're exhausted and excited. Just sayin'...

Feedback Score
    I'd suggest running with the eye pro on if possible. Mud, water & tree branches in your eyes is no fun. I normally tie the ear-pro buds onto my hat + take a spare pair of plugs in a dry pouch. Muff are heavy & suck to carry.

Wish I was going this year! I've got to redeem myself from last year's fiasco!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Innovative Targets is stepping up in a big way to provide almost $1,800 in steel targets for the match, and they will be selling them at a discount after the match is over on Sunday night. So bring CASH and hang out Sunday night if you want a great deal on some awesome targets!

Here's the price list and quantities we will have:
    (9) 8" x 10" pistol ringer w/ stand $40
    (1) 6" x 8" pistol ringer w/ stand $30
    (1) 1/4 Torso w/ stand $119
    (1) BC Zone Torso w/ stand $162
    (2) Full Torso w/ stand $204
    (6) 10" Rifle Gong $30
    (6) 12" Rifle Gong $40

Check out his website at https://www.innovativetargets.net/ for all the details on these and all of his other targets.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some tips for anyone new to “blind stages”: approach it like you would a firefight. You see a situation ahead where gunfire is likely, but don’t know exactly what you need. Prepare your gear BEFORE you approach so you’re ready when you get there – unsling your rifle, move magazines around if necessary, and be ready to “fight” as soon as you arrive. This is how 5th Group does it, so this is what we are trying to replicate here. You will be given your stage brief and required to start exactly as you were configured when you arrived at the stage. You will not be allowed to reconfigure gear during the stage brief, during wait time, or before shooting. If you’re not ready – you’re not ready, and you’ll have to deal with it when the buzzer goes off and the shooting starts.

Don’t be that guy.

Last edited by Matt in TN; 08-29-19 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Nice weather tomorrow. Wishing you all good luck tomorrow and sunday. See you out there.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    10k was great fun, and no joke. The power line cut hill is a beast.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast