Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Dimpled Barrel Gas Block Installation 2019

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)

Non-Dimpled Barrel Gas Block Installation 2019

I am always amazed in 2019 that people still do not know about dimpling barrels for gas block installation or people who constantly say "it's not necessary". This upper was recently sent to me after the owner noticed it was no longer working. It was home assembled and he had no idea that the barrel should be dimpled. The set screws had also not been Loctited, although both screws were tight when I removed them. One can clearly see how far the gas block shifted. According to the owner it had several hundreds of rounds through it until this happened.

I can say with almost 99% certainty, that a properly dimpled barrel, with correct set screws and Loctite will not come loose. I have tens of thousands of cumulative rounds through multiple uppers, and that doesn't include the multiple weapons that we have at SIONICS that are used in demos with tens of thousands of rounds through them.

Sadly there are manufacturer's doing this as well as using aluminum gas blocks on their uppers.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Looks like once it loosened and came out of alignment, the gas key drove it forward. Yeah, do it right the first time.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Hearsay I tell ya, hearsay!

Seriously, thanks for sharing. A good reminder what to look for and of course, buy good stuff from the get go to avoid issues like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I can say with almost 99% certainty, that a properly dimpled barrel, with correct set screws and Loctite will not come loose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Looks like once it loosened and came out of alignment, the gas key drove it forward. Yeah, do it right the first time.
    I agree...rather than paying to have the barrel dimpled, pay to have the gas block pinned.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I agree...rather than paying to have the barrel dimpled, pay to have the gas block pinned.
    I believe the point IG was making was in reference to home builders. Far easier to dimple the barrel than to pin the gas block for most guys. But I agree, if paying to have your upper assembled, pinning is preferable.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    IG is there any particular jig for dimpling the barrel that you prefer over others?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Or buy barrels from manufacturers that dimple their barrels from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Some manufacturers are actually using aluminum gas blocks? Don't they sooner rather later erode to the point of non-functionality?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    IG is there any particular jig for dimpling the barrel that you prefer over others?
    I'd be interested in your recommendation as well.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Or buy barrels from manufacturers that dimple their barrels from the start.
    Yea but it’s not hard to dimple a barrel.

The SLR kits work well and are like 30 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast