Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Non-Dimpled Barrel Gas Block Installation 2019

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes, the torch is your friend when it comes to removing loctited screws.

This is especially true when removing a muzzle device that somebody "secured" with red loctite.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Which loctite is recommended for GB set screws?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    I've always used red for gas block set screws. I don't think any other kind can withstand the heat.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I've always used red for gas block set screws. I don't think any other kind can withstand the heat.
    Blue and Red general purposes have the same heat tolerance but different holding strengths. There are high temp and ultra high temp variants of both holding strengths. Unless you’re mag dumping, regular loctite (red) should be fine (360 F).

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Rocksett works as well. It’s designed to withstand high temps but is as hard to remove as red loctite

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I use Rocksett.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Loctite 272 (high temp red - up to 450F)

That's not completely true. Rocksett has far less breakaway torque. The problem most people experience with either product is application amount and surface prep. However, the specs don't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Rocksett works as well. It’s designed to withstand high temps but is as hard to remove as red loctite

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Loctite 272 (high temp red - up to 450F)

That's not completely true. Rocksett has far less breakaway torque. The problem most people experience with either product is application amount and surface prep. However, the specs don't lie.

Thanks for the correction- I mistyped and meant to say that Rocksett is NOT very difficult to remove. Ive never had a muzzle device come loose when using it.

Feedback Score
    Do you guys use a torque screwdriver on the GB set screws or just an Allen wrench? If a torque screwdriver, what torque setting?

Feedback Score
    Others might, I do not use a torque screwdriver. I just clean/prep the threads on both the screws and GB, apply a TINY DOT of Rocksett (or Loctite) to the threads of the screws and snug down finger tight. I do let the wrench tail slightly bend a little but never to the point that it's going to snap, barber pole twist, or strip the head. Just "snug tight". That way it's not going to move under fire but I'll be able to remove them if I need to, and sometimes it is not an easy thing to do.

I'd like to hear what others do as this is just the way I do it.

Do you guys use a torque screwdriver on the GB set screws or just an Allen wrench? If a torque screwdriver, what torque setting?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast