Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Dimpled Barrel Gas Block Installation 2019

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I also have one of BRD's 1A jigs, and it still does the job.

Their 1A-HT jig appears quite flexible.
    Last edited by grizzman; 05-13-19 at 12:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    IG is there any particular jig for dimpling the barrel that you prefer over others?

SLR Rifleworks is the one that I use...

https://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?...product_id=579
    Last edited by Craftsman62; 05-13-19 at 14:17. Reason: Didn't see duplicate replies before posting

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I’m not trying to be a smart-ass, but in 2019 why aren’t most companies pinning?

I understand that most home builders would rather dimple for ease of use. If I build, I send the barrel off to get pinned, and I avoid products where a compay doesn’t pin the gasblock. This website used to argue straight vs tapered. Am I missing something? Is there a benefit to a set screw/dimpled over pinning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Properly installed, set screw installations are very reliable.

Gas blocks rarely wear out, but if for some reason the gas block does need to be replaced, such as installing an adjustable gas block to control gas when a suppressor is installed, the new gas block will align with the dimple driectly below the gas port. It's much harder to get a new gas block to align with the old cross pin hole.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I’ve got BRDE jigs but the SLR ones are excellent as well.

Again, with good tools like these that align at least the 1st dimple directly opposite the gas port, I don’t get why people don’t use them. In a pinch, with no access to my mill, I’ve used a damn hand drill with perfect results.

lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    I’m not trying to be a smart-ass, but in 2019 why aren’t most companies pinning?

I understand that most home builders would rather dimple for ease of use. If I build, I send the barrel off to get pinned, and I avoid products where a compay doesn’t pin the gasblock. This website used to argue straight vs tapered. Am I missing something? Is there a benefit to a set screw/dimpled over pinning?

Because people tinker with their guns too much and set screws are usually removable with hand tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Because people tinker with their guns too much and set screws are usually removable with hand tools.
    That’s what I thought. I don’t tinker. I want the gun done right, from the factory.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    Am I missing something? Is there a benefit to a set screw/dimpled over pinning?
    I’ve heard a theory that pinning can harm a barrel’s accuracy. I don’t really put much stock in it because my most accurate AR is pinned. In any case pinning is the best option for almost everyone, and most of my rifles are pinned. The rifles do not limit my marksmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It's much harder to get a new gas block to align with the old cross pin hole.
    I’m having this problem currently with a DD barrel I snagged secondhand. I may just dimple it.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Out of a half dozen BCM set screw gas blocks I have removed, I've had to drill out the set screws every single time. No amount of good quality allen wrenches and heat (within reason) would get them out. I've had the exact same results with every set screw gas block I've installed myself. I'd just as soon remove a damn pinned FSB as trying to get properly done set screws out.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    To be fair, that's probably because BCM (and you) essentially install them permanently (IMHO property). If I remove a GB I expect to replace it, it's not an area to be dicking around with.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast