Looking for input from the regulars on the trade-offs of these 2 M&P size options.

The background is I don't cycle through pistols as often as some here do. So I'm hoping there are folks who've owned and used both sizes and can weigh in on the trade-offs. I've stuck with the M&P pistols from the early days, even thru all the ups and downs. Now planning to upgrade my older ones to the 2.0 line.

So as I upgrade, here's the current thinking:
* Will get two of them as always, and like to standardize on a single size, so it's either FS or Compact.
* I already have a lot of stuff for the FS models that would be reusable, for example a ton of 17rd full-size mags for the FS, and 2 holsters. One of these is a Crossbreed open bottom type holster which would possibly fit the Compact 2.0.
* My uses are pretty standard: carry in social settings (sometimes carry a Shield when clothing options make that more convenient), carry for hiking/backpacking, range (no comps), nightstand.
* What I'm really wondering: for shooters who've carried and fired both sizes a lot, do you prefer one size over the other, and why?