Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advantages to having a .750 gas port vs . 625 on a mid-weight barrel

Feedback Score

Advantages to having a .750 gas port vs . 625 on a mid-weight barrel

Hi,

I'm trying to build my first AR15 with a mid-length 16" barrel as a range toy (unsuppressed). Anticipated firing position is 60% standing and 40% prone or from a bench. Favoring a lighter, but not quite pencil, weight I've narrowed it down to one of the following three contour barrels:

+Larue 16" Predatar (27 oz w/ 0.625" gas block)

+Midwest/Criterion MI-C16H223 (27 oz w/ 0.625" gas block)
    https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...mi-c16h223.htm

+ADM/Criterion AD-AR15Barrel-ADMContour-223 (24 oz w/ 0.750" gas block)
    https://www.americandefensemanufactu...product/1225/?

I'm sure I'd be happy with any one of these but the ADM flavor shaves off 3 oz and roughly $40 from the other two. All of the mid-weight barrels I've taken into consideration call for a 0.625" gas block except the ADM, which seems odd. Is there any advantage to having a larger gas block?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The only possible advantage of a 750 gas block journal would be slightly better gas block availability.

For a light weight barrel, a 625 gas block journal is more appropriate.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    .750 vs .650 does not refer to the gas port, rather it is the diameter of the journal the gas block fits around. .750 is a common standard, and .650 is commonly found on lighter barrels. Either is fine, provided the gas block is attached appropriately.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Disregard.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 05-12-19 at 17:13. Reason: N/A

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The only possible advantage of a 750 gas block journal would be slightly better gas block availability.

For a light weight barrel, a 625 gas block journal is more appropriate.
    I think you're agreeing with me it's odd. Care to expand why it's more appropriate? Is it because the barrel has more weight where you don't want it? This could very well explain the slight discount.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    There's just no need to have abrupt changes in the profile.

They don't do any good and at best, add unnecessary weight.

Notice how smooth the profile is on our OPTIMUM LPR.

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    OP probably shouldn't be building a carbine with this little of a knowledge base. Maybe buying a complete gun or a upper/lower combo is a safer bet. You can build the next one...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    OP probably shouldn't be building a carbine with this little of a knowledge base. Maybe buying a complete gun or a upper/lower combo is a safer bet. You can build the next one...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I don't really agree asking why a lightweight contour barrel has a larger than typical diameter at the gas block disqualifies me from being capable of choosing components for or assembling a rifle. I've completely disassembled and reassembled (and I'm not talking field stripping) numerous pistols, a PCC (MPX), a shotgun, and built a bolt gun. Despite my experience with other platforms there are so many great suppliers, videos, and forums out there the population of folks that should buy, rather than build, their first AR15 is a very small one.

I started this journey thinking I'd get a Daniel Defense, which I agree would be safer but it's far more fun to roll my own and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyTwoTone View Post
    I started this journey thinking I'd get a Daniel Defense, which I agree would be safer but it's far more fun to roll my own and a heck of a lot cheaper.
    I wish you well on this undertaking, but its definitely not a heck of a lot cheaper if you use quality components.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I wish you well on this undertaking, but its definitely not a heck of a lot cheaper if you use quality components.
    Plus the additional cost of the tools needed to do it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast