Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advantages to having a .750 gas port vs . 625 on a mid-weight barrel

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyTwoTone View Post
    I think you're agreeing with me it's odd. Care to expand why it's more appropriate? Is it because the barrel has more weight where you don't want it? This could very well explain the slight discount.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Not all that long ago, there was a wider selection of .750 gas blocks and most pencil barrels had a .750 journal. The ADM barrel profile is simply a holdover from that time. It's not a bad thing, it just offers no advantage and weighs slightly more than a .625.

Feedback Score
    Good for you building your own. You will do fine. Nothing to be learned buying a complete rifle. I have built several and have enjoyed every one.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I don't really agree asking why a lightweight contour barrel has a larger than typical diameter at the gas block disqualifies me from being capable of choosing components for or assembling a rifle. I've completely disassembled and reassembled (and I'm not talking field stripping) numerous pistols, a PCC (MPX), a shotgun, and built a bolt gun. Despite my experience with other platforms there are so many great suppliers, videos, and forums out there the population of folks that should buy, rather than build, their first AR15 is a very small one.

I started this journey thinking I'd get a Daniel Defense, which I agree would be safer but it's far more fun to roll my own and a heck of a lot cheaper.
    Your question didn't leave me with the impression that your knowledge of firearms or the platform was all that high. My impression may well be wrong, but my recommendation stands. My take is that unless you have some kind of frame of reference to know what you want or need, you're probably better served with a factory gun and you'll have more money for ammo and training to gather that frame of reference.

Shheeeiiiit, there was a time that I thought that I wanted to put a RIS II on my 6720. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Plus the additional cost of the tools needed to do it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I wish you well on this undertaking, but its definitely not a heck of a lot cheaper if you use quality components.
    Plus this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I started this journey thinking I'd get a Daniel Defense, which I agree would be safer but it's far more fun to roll my own and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Well, you have obviously never "rolled your own" before because it never works out that way, unless you're talking about getting a PSA kit, in which case, carry on.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've assembled numerous ARs, but during the last few years, I'm finding many options for factory uppers and lowers that make assembling them myself illogical.

One example is the LE6920 lower and 6960-CCU from Brownells. The complete Carbine will be $865 (less irons) with a Colt BCG from Arms Unlimited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Well, you have obviously never "rolled your own" before because it never works out that way, unless you're talking about getting a PSA kit, in which case, carry on.
    Puchasing a completed rifle from a LGS adds significant sales tax and I'd have to incur additional expenses to convert it to comply with state laws (I don't live in a free state) given how I plan to use it.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Puchasing a completed rifle from a LGS adds significant sales tax and I'd have to incur additional expenses to convert it to comply with state laws (I don't live in a free state) given how I plan to use it.

Here' your answer to that dilemma.
    http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/stor...ifle-zero.html
    Buy a complete upper, lower furniture and controls of preference.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    My pencil barrel sports a .625 gas block. Just makes sense to keep a consistent profile and save the weight, unless you just have a specific .750 block you want to run. When I bought my pre-assembled BCM upper they were one of the few options running a .625 block. As previously mentioned above, back in the old days .625 blocks weren’t common so that pencil profile with more meat under the gas block was pretty common, but not today.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12