Thread: Opinions re Leupold VX-6HD 1-6x24

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Opinions re Leupold VX-6HD 1-6x24

I am looking for advice from those who have experience with the Leupold VX-6HD 1-6x24 lpvo. I currently run a Trijicon 1-8 accupower and a 1-4 accupower on a couple of my Sig 516's. I really like the 1-8, except for its extreme weight. Not so sure about the 1-4 at present. The Leupold seems like a good options, inasmuch as it is light, and has a 1-6 range. It's price category should ensure good optic and build quality. I would like to hear from anyone who has one of these scopes, and what they think of it. Is it daylight bright (or reasonably close)? True 1X (or reasonably close)? Build quality? Optic clarity? These are the things I am interested in. If there is anyone out there who can help me, I would greatly appreciate your comments and advice.

Feedback Score
    I have the non HD version and am very happy with it. The red fire dot is absolutely daylight bright. It’s close enough to true 1x that I don’t notice any magnification until I raise the front sight, even then it’s minimal. Build quality seems fine. It’s been knocked over a few times on hard floor/ground and been fine, but no real abuse. Optical quality is excellent in my opinion. For comparison I own or have owned a gen 1 viper pst, a Leupold vx-r patrol and a SWFA (non HD). The optical quality of the vx-6 exceeds all of them in my opinion. Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks. That definitely helps. Amazingly the VX-6HD 1-6 is lighter than my Accupower 1-4. My biggest gripe with the Accupower 1-4 is that it is not daylight bright (or even close), and yes, I do have the red bdc reticle. Unfortunately the VX-6HD is also twice the price of the Accupower! But I think it is in my future plans for replacing the 1-4 Trijicon.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I have the HD with the CM-R2 reticle. It's ridiculously light. I am running it on a scar 17 in a larue mount. It has had no issues with the scars recoil. I called Leupold about it and they said it would be fine.

Since its on 308 the drops dont match up but I threw it into a ballistic calculator and know my holds. Leupold's Custom Dial System is sick. You tell them what ammo your using and they make you a custom dial for drops. I have one setup with GGM and one for TAP. If you want to shoot 400, you just spin the turret to 400 and ding! Same for 600 or 300. Its slight overkill with the BDC but I wanted the horseshoe for 1x CQB. If you were just running the firedot with the CDS you could easily use the turrets for drops.

Couple of negatives - I think the razor 1x6 has better glass but it weighs almost a 1/2 lb more. The illumination is good to go for daylight but its auto on feature although super cool if its a static gun in safe or or in the corner, it kind of kills it as a truck gun as the motion sensor is on all the time. You can turn it off but the optic is really setup up as a static system to go one when it moves. It just depends on how your going to use it.

Chances are good I will buy another. You just can't beat the weight of it. If you went with a scalarworks mount you would still be less weight than where most optics start without a mount.