Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shock Buff Question

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Shock Buff Question

It's been a while since I've been into the 1911 and was wondering what the latest wisdom was regarding the use of shock buffs.

From what I recall (mid-90's, for perspective)...
    Use shock buffs only for practice/range-days to mitigate slide/frame battering.
    Do NOT use for carry/SHTF due to possibility of the buff coming apart.

Is the above still good advice?

Is there a particular brand of shock buff that's favored?

Thanks in advance.

-Rainman

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Make certain your frame has a proper "Bow Tie", or relief cut on the VIS (Vertical Impact Surface) so the barrels lower lugs don't impact the frame, run proper main/hammer springs for ammo you're shooting- and one can forget about "Shok-Buffs".

I don't think the Shok Buffs are "a thing" anymore, although I confess to a period of using them (briefly) when they first came out.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I've heard a lot people say "it depends" and others say not to use them.
    The original MEU(SOC) 1911 manual said to have them in the gun; I've done so and never had an issue. This is all with government sized single stacks in .45ACP.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had one in my .38 super for a few years, no issues but I haven't looked at it since 12/17

Feedback Score
    I run Wilson Combat Shok-Buffs in a Springer TRP .45 7,000 rounds, & a Beretta M9A3 3,200 rounds & have never had a malf that wasn't attributed to ammo.
    I do replace them every 1,500 rounds...(I believe Wilsons advises replacement every 500 rounds)
    That being said, I also replace my recoil springs every 3,000 rounds.
    I do carry with the Buffs installed, & check them for wear/deterioration every cleaning.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have used them and never had a problem... until the beginning of one match... then I had a problem. They are associated with Murphy's Law. They are also cheap enough to replace which I apparently did not do until it failed.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I’ve got a Wilson set up you can have. Their flat wire set up and shock buffer caused my perfectly functional Springfield loaded to malfunction. Also the slide stopped locking to the rear. Took the buffer out and the pistol was fine again. David

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use the Wilson Combat ones in government size 1911 carry guns with no issues. I get about 250 to 300 rounds thru each range session. I keep plenty on hand and inspect during every cleaning, replace as needed.
    Last edited by graydog1; 05-19-19 at 22:41.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Were I to use a Shock-Buff in my guns I would likely use the Wilson offering. My personal feeling is that, if used, it would be in practice sessions and not be in a carry gun.

The potential benefits of a Shock-Buff can be debated but they do seem to change the 'feel' of the gun as the slide reaches it reward most point in the firing cycle.

Some guns (especially those shorter than a Government Model) may become finicky with a Shock-Buff installed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Burton View Post
    Were I to use a Shock-Buff in my guns I would likely use the Wilson offering. My personal feeling is that, if used, it would be in practice sessions and not be in a carry gun.

The potential benefits of a Shock-Buff can be debated but they do seem to change the 'feel' of the gun as the slide reaches it reward most point in the firing cycle.

Some guns (especially those shorter than a Government Model) may become finicky with a Shock-Buff installed.
    Good to hear your thoughts on this. I used one briefly years ago, then totally quit using them in my 1911's. I didn't ever notice any impact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast