Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shock Buff Question

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Many thanks for the replies.

-Rainman

Feedback Score
    What problem is the shok-buff trying to solve? If the gun isn't suffering frame damage, (which is indicative of another problem?), leave well enough alone.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Saw this thread and it reminded me of when I took my vintage 1980s "pin gun" out last year. The gun is a Colt series 70 built up in classic 80s styling,two tone, Bomars , ambi Swenson safeties, single port Wilson LEK(?) comp, two piece guide rod with shock buff(Wilson). I had not shot the gun in years. It always had great reliability with proper ammo and mags, ran like a Singer sewing machine.

I decide it was retro pistol day and took it to the range adding some fresh lube. The pistol choked into the first mag, locked up solid. When I was able to get it apart, I found the shock buff from probably 8+ years ago had disintegrated. All those little pieces of "buff" material jammed Ol-slab sides up good and tight.

I was always told that you don't use shock buffs for duty or self-defense guns, only on gamer guns, I believe that stands correct. I normally switched them out every 1K rounds on my old match gun and they gave great service. I would never use them on a personal defense pistol. On a gamer gun, switch them out and inspect them often!!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I always take them out of my guns, even my Wilsons. Seems to be of minimal benefit vs. adding another failure point to the 1911. But I could see running one if you had a carry 1911 and an identical range 1911 that you shot the crap out off. I have definitely had them fall apart on me. It is too bad they couldn't make it out of that material H&K uses.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12