Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trigger Pin Troubleshooting

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Trigger Pin Troubleshooting

Good morning,
    I have a BCM lower with a Geissele SSA trigger. The lower was purchased from Grant with the SSA already installed. The lower is NFA registered and setup with a 10.5” piston upper and only used suppressed. Approximately 1500 – 2000 rounds through it before last weekend. No issues at the range, typically shooting 100 -200 rounds per session.

Last weekend I took Defensive Rifle at the Sig Academy. The rifle performed well, except the Trigger Pin kept creeping out. I had to push it back in about 6 times throughout the weekend. There was enough tension on the pin that I could not push it back in or tap it back in with a piece of brass until I lowered the hammer. It would then push back into position easily with my finger.

My troubleshooting plan is to remove the trigger. I hope to borrow a set of pin gauges to check the diameter of the holes and use calipers to measure the pin. I will also confirm the trigger was correctly installed (I have not removed it yet). I expect one of those 3 things to be incorrect, identifying the problem.

I searched the forum for this issue and found some circa 2009 posts, but nothing current. Unless improper installation is to blame (I doubt it since the trigger pull is exactly like my other SSA rifle), I am wondering if KNS trapped pins would be an acceptable solution if the lower hole is too big. I thought I read somewhere that they were not recommended for the Geissele triggers.

Is my troubleshooting plan comprehensive enough? Is there something else that could cause this that I should look for? Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you,
    Mike

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    A trigger pin walking out is normally caused by improper installation of the hammer spring. The legs of the hammer spring should rest on top of the trigger pin. The trigger pin should have a notch in one or both ends. The legs of the hammer spring rest in that notch and this is what keeps the trigger pin in place.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Send a picture looking straight down into the lower receiver over the trigger to confirm what SteveL said above. 99.9% chance that's what it is.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thank you, I'll add a picture after work today.

Feedback Score
    KNS kit won't hurt either.
    Veteran US Army Combat Medic/US Navy FMF Corpsman

"Well placed gun fire is the best preventive medicine."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bill Geissele has warned against the use of the KNS pins with his precision triggers. The pins provided with G triggers should be used as they are slightly over sized for a better fit and function.

Fix the problem and the KNS pins won't be needed.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I know, I have not cleaned it since day 2 of class, I'll clean it tomorrow. The picture should still show spring placement.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It does look like the leg of the spring is wrong. Correct?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    2nd pict

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The legs of the hammer spring should be over the the trigger pin.

The picture at the head of this article shows it pretty good: https://www.itstactical.com/warcom/f...-installation/

Don't sweat it, we've all done something similar.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast