Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Needing a smaller 9mm EDC... with a manual safety?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Needing a smaller 9mm EDC... with a manual safety?

I've been carrying a USP Compact 9mm for the better part of two years. Problem is, I print when I carry it fairly noticeably. I'm 5'10" 175lbs and pretty straight body-wise, so any kind of IWB carry causes a noticeable bulge.

Normally, I'd just buy a smaller handgun. My challenge is that I want a dead-nuts tested and reliable handgun... and I prefer (read: need) a manual safety. It's personal preference and all that - no offense taken from those who think they're not needed. This is how I wound up carrying a USPc 9.

Anyways, back to the problem: most guns that meet my criteria really aren't much smaller. That's led me to look at some compact 1911's, M&P 9mm w/ safety, and the P30SKS. That's about all I could find.

The P30SKS meets the requirements, but it's not THAT much smaller size-wise. I do think a slimmer-fitting 9mm 1911 would be a good improvement, but then we're back to the reliability problem. I'm sure there are reliable 9mm 1911's out there, but I don't really have a starting point. I'm really not a fan of the M&P. So, now I'm looking for recommendations and feedback.

Any recommendations, either for a 9mm 1911 compact or for something else I haven't considered?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    The m&p Shield is available with a manual safety. It’s probably the best of the guns in that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Needing a smaller 9mm EDC... with a manual safety?

The manual safety P365 might be something to consider. They were announced in January but unsure if they are released yet.

Last edited by parishioner; 05-13-19 at 16:49.

Feedback Score
    Try appendix carry. It takes some getting used to but should solve your printing issue not to mention the other numerous advantages.

Anything is going to print without the right holster or in the wrong position. I can manage to print with a Shield at 4'o Clock if I'm really looking and I'm 6'2" 220lbs. Don't overthink it.

If you want a 9mm 1911, Don't go any cheaper than a Springfield, most will agree that's the baseline as far as reliability goes in the 1911 realm.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Shield with a safety. The 365 is not out yet with a safety and probably doesn't meet your reliability requirement yet.

Feedback Score
    I would suggest a shield.
    I dont know if there is a gadget available for the thin glocks, but maybe a g48 with one if that would ve acceptable to you.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    The m&p Shield is available with a manual safety. It’s probably the best of the guns in that size.

Copy that. +1

Mine has a safety and I owned it for months before I knew it was there.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ruger LC9s, nice a little can be had with a manual safety, love mine

Feedback Score
    5'8", ~140 lb, I AIWB a P30LS with +5 base pads (along with RMR, carry comp, carry magwell, and X400UH). AIWB was the only way I could conceal carry without printing; I do it with size small t-shirts and skinny jeans. I would keep the USP-C and try out AIWB with a good holster, such as a JMCK.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've also been looking for a small 9 mm with a useful thumb safety. I've been carrying a Shield for several years but the ergos of the thumb safety suck. I contacted Apex and asked if they had any plans of making an aftermarket upgraded thumb safety. I couldn't get in an answer out of them. "We don't release details...." I've shot more than 3,000 rounds through my shield. I love the gun. I just get a bit nervous holstering it without a thumb safety.

I shot the Ruger a bit and was surprised that I liked it. It's not a bad gun. The thumb safety is metal and actually is usable.

Sig has a nasty habit of using consumer market as beta testers. The 365, 320 problems as well as the problems my PD had with the SRT trigger system made me never want to buy their guns again.
    Last edited by signal4l; 05-14-19 at 00:17.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast