Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Needing a smaller 9mm EDC... with a manual safety?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    The possibility of accidentally discharging the firearm while reholstering is the main reason I like having a manual safety. This can happen when a wad of t-shirt or clothing gets in the trigger guard or sits on top of the holster. Draw cord adjusters should be removed from all cover garments.

http://gundigest.com/reviews/draw-qu...&rid=233879035
    I can understand your reasoning but only as a safety bulletin concern. This type of accident is minuscule in percentages and considered negligence discharge. Same would be said with people that accidentally pull the trigger when they draw their firearm. Being cognisive ALWAYS of trigger finger discipline and re-holstering your firearm, knowing your apparel, and practice almost always negates accidents like that. Yes, they still can happen but its few and far. Wanting a manual safety for that reason alone IMO does not outweigh the possible consequence of fumbling with it in a time of real distress. It also gives you a false sense of safety because you don't trust yourself holstering your gun.

Trust yourself.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRecon View Post
    I can understand your reasoning but only as a safety bulletin concern. This type of accident is minuscule in percentages and considered negligence discharge. Same would be said with people that accidentally pull the trigger when they draw their firearm. Being cognisive ALWAYS of trigger finger discipline and re-holstering your firearm, knowing your apparel, and practice almost always negates accidents like that. Yes, they still can happen but its few and far. Wanting a manual safety for that reason alone IMO does not outweigh the possible consequence of fumbling with it in a time of real distress. It also gives you a false sense of safety because you don't trust yourself holstering your gun.

Trust yourself.

It's actually not a minuscule percentage. If someone doesn't want a thumb safety good for them. I can care less. 1911 shooters have been doing just fine with their thumb safetys for more than a few years. Trust has nothing to do with a zipper pull or draw cord adjuster finding its way into the mouth of your holster.

Here is another one

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...merman/389874/
    Last edited by signal4l; 05-16-19 at 12:07.

Feedback Score
    Glock 26/43/43x/48 with a striker control device.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How about a DA/SA pistol with decocker only? That way you can reholster with your thumb on the hammer. I know is on the larger size, but I am more than happy with my 92 Compacts with "G" conversion. If I feel any pressure on my thumb from the hammer while reholstering, I know something is wrong.

Edited to add: Disregard my post. Forgot you were looking for smaller. As much as I like it, there's nothing really "compact" about the 92 Compact.
    Last edited by john armond; 05-16-19 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you "think" you print badly or has someone told you so. I am slim myself and IWB a full size P30. I though it was fairly noticeable myself until my wife told me she didn't even notice it and I was wearing shorts and a tshirt. Now I don't pay it any mind and a good buddy of mine who knows I carry at church jokingly went to pat at it and went for my right hip and I shoot pistol left handed - again, shorts and a tshirt. He is clueless gun wise, but again, most people are.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 05-16-19 at 13:31.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    CZ Rami

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRecon View Post
    Can you explain why you prefer a manual safety vs non for primary CCW? I understand everyone has their opinions but I'm curious.

This is how I approach this and only my worthless opinion.

The absolute last thing I would ever want to think about if my life is now in the tipping scales of a criminals hand is the real possibility to fumble with a manual safety. I'm talking about a real life- live or die situation, not what you perceive in your head will happen. Most people think they have time, can create sepearation etc- not realistic IMO.

What if you are in a one on one struggle on the ground? If you are semi incapacitated by a blow, ambushed from behind, hurt, the long list goes on. Is having that manual safety going to outweigh the possibility you will fumble with it? I understand practice can help negate those possibilities but most people do not train realistically and that extra second or two could have undesired consequences.

If you are holstering a firearm (not floating around in your pocket or a womans purse- do NOT recommend that) then that is your safety.. draw, point, shoot. Take away anything else that doesnt simplify that equation.

Anyone else have reasoning behind needing/wanting a manual safety for your primary CCW?

Regarding a safety: the most pressing reason I prefer a safety is because there are many instances in my day to day when a holster is not a viable option. It's not the same as a good holster, but a da/sa with a safety is close enough that I'm not concerned about ND in those situations. Using the safety is automatic for me and doesn't present any issues.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullz View Post
    Regarding a safety: the most pressing reason I prefer a safety is because there are many instances in my day to day when a holster is not a viable option. It's not the same as a good holster, but a da/sa with a safety is close enough that I'm not concerned about ND in those situations. Using the safety is automatic for me and doesn't present any issues.
    Thats a good reason with no holster option. My thought was if you are going to holster a weapon then I'd steer away but if it's also something you are comfortable with then by all means. I've always wanted the fastest method available for me which is why I love Glock. I'm sure there are guys that can easily draw their firearm with manual saftey and get in target faster than anyone.

Feedback Score
    If you dont want a Cheetah because its .380 the Cz Rami mentioned is a good option.

Or one of the other few Da / Sa choices.

Or a revolver. I reccomend the 6-shot .327 Fed Ruger LCR. (And carry .32 magnum if you dont the blast)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    The possibility of accidentally discharging the firearm while reholstering is the main reason I like having a manual safety. This can happen when a wad of t-shirt or clothing gets in the trigger guard or sits on top of the holster. Draw cord adjusters should be removed from all cover garments.

http://gundigest.com/reviews/draw-qu...&rid=233879035
    If you are concerned about this I’d also suggest a Springfield XDS with a grip safety.

While I carry a Shield w thumb safety primarily, I also carry an XD9 service with a grip safety. I ensure I am not engaging the grip safety when I reholster. I have never had a problem properly engaging the grip safety when I draw and fire.

The XDS is a smaller CCW size Springfield and comes in 9mm and 45 ACP.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast