Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curiouser and curiouser...

Feedback Score

Curiouser and curiouser...

Okay, posted previously about my 605 Clone (16" retro carbine with rifle length gas system). Bought it at a gunshow (I've eliminated the vendor and original owners as the sinners here; it was never fired). It came sans BCG, so I put a new LMT one in.
    Gun wouldn't run; fired round was ejected, but the next one wasn't picked up.
    I had a lightly used, vintage Colt BCG and tried that; worked fine.
    Put some new gas rings in the LMT carrier group, and now it runs fine as well.
    Ideas?
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    the short dwell time. sometimes it will cause things to act funny.

but we'd need more info, type of ammo mainly.
    try it with some full power nato spec and see how it acts

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elia.jon1 View Post
    the short dwell time. sometimes it will cause things to act funny.

but we'd need more info, type of ammo mainly.
    try it with some full power nato spec and see how it acts
    elia', I'm sure the short dwell is indeed part of the problem; apparently it was an issue back in the day. Reputedly, Brownells' replicas have an opened gas port, which was supposed to fix it.
    Ammo was NATO stamped '08 Winchester, and I also shot some cheapie imported stuff, after the change of the rings had the LMT carrier group running okay...the oddball stuff worked as well.
    I simply like the full sight radius and light weight of the 605-clone (kinda a prehistoric dissipator), whatever the doubts about a FA. And it looks neat.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    They are neat. Little things like maybe a reduced power hammer spring would help. Anything that makes it cycle easier should also help.

Feedback Score
    My NoDak M16A1 lower already has a Geissele SSA in it (hey, it looksperiod!). The function has improved with the new rings, which do seem to have much reduced resistance.
    I thot' I had a half-circle semi bolt carrier tucked away someplace, but haven't been able to find it. It seems to me that a lower mass carrier was used back in the day.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Been having a conversation with the good folks at LMT. They are suspicious of the gas rings, as am I.
    A too-tight fit combined with a reduced dwell time for gas?
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They are neat. Little things like maybe a reduced power hammer spring would help. Anything that makes it cycle easier should also help.
    That's not a solution to his problem. That is a band-aid that could lead to light primer strikes in the future.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    That's not a solution to his problem. That is a band-aid that could lead to light primer strikes in the future.
    He has a rifle length gas 16" Gu . The only real fix is a pressure catcher. Suppressor or some sort of booster. Light primer strikes vs ftf gotta weigh your options

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    He has a rifle length gas 16" Gu . The only real fix is a pressure catcher. Suppressor or some sort of booster. Light primer strikes vs ftf gotta weigh your options
    Except, see below OP, it runs fine without those things.

Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    I had a lightly used, vintage Colt BCG and tried that; worked fine.
    Put some new gas rings in the LMT carrier group, and now it runs fine as well.
    Moon
    Moon, are you still having problems, or does it run?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wrong on all counts. You don't fix an out of spec gun by adding more out of spec parts. You find the parts that are out of spec and replace them with parts that are in spec. Period, end of sentence. Anything less is doing things half assed, and half assed solutions could get someone killed if the firearm in question were needed in a life or death situation.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast