Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curiouser and curiouser...

Feedback Score
    Okay, some things to add. Did a final zero and ran another 20 rounds; 100% function with the LMT carrier group and the new set of rings. Bolt didn't lock open on the last round.
    Thinking about it on the way home; I'm running the rifle buffer that I'd been using with the 20" Colt.
    Would it make sense to go to a carbine buffer? I have an ummarked carbine buffer in my spares box; presume that is the lightest version?
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Well, a fine lot of help you fellers are!
    I put the carbine buffer into the 16" carbine, and stopped briefly for a test hop at my local range. I had three mags with two rounds loaded; full function and the bolt locked back after the last round in each mag.
    I'll declare the problem solved.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    To be clear, you are using a carbine buffer in a carbine receiver extension, correct? I think thats what you meant. Reading through, it sounds as though you just threw a carbine buffer in the rifle.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    To be clear, you are using a carbine buffer in a carbine receiver extension, correct? I think thats what you meant. Reading through, it sounds as though you just threw a carbine buffer in the rifle.
    No misperception there, 1168. I put the carbine buffer right into the M16A1-clone lower. As noted, in a brief test hop, ran just fine. Is there an issue there?
    Thanks,
    Moon

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    No misperception there, 1168. I put the carbine buffer right into the M16A1-clone lower. As noted, in a brief test hop, ran just fine. Is there an issue there?
    Thanks,
    Moon
    Yes, there's an issue. a carbine buffer won't bottom out in a rifle-length receiver extension. You did notice the difference in length between the carbine buffer and the rifle buffer, I hope?
    Any visible damage or marks to the lower receiver (at the top under the charging handle) from the rear of the carrier key hitting it?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    A better idea to try would be emptying the rifle buffer of its weights, or replacing them with aluminum.

Edit: you might be able to find the correct diameter aluminum rod at Lowes or Home Depot
    Last edited by 1168; 05-25-19 at 19:33. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    Military', I'll have a look; I was more concerned about buffer weight than buffer length.
    1168, don't really want to bugger up my rifle buffer; it's a standard rifle buffer and it works fine in the 20" M16A1 upper that usually lives on. How about a source for another rifle buffer, perhaps lighter than normal.
    Thanks guys,
    Moon

Feedback Score
    I've decided to quit trying to fix something that ain't broke. Test hopped things again today with the vintage Colt BCG, particularly to see if the bolt would lock open on the last round. It did, so I'll simply run the Colt group when using the 16", and move it to the 20" when needed.
    The LMT BCG will resume its place in storage as a spare...it works in everything else.
    Thanks,
    Moon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12