Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we eat our own?

Feedback Score

Why do we eat our own?

I've been into the AR thing only a couple of years now but it's been long enough to note a trend. Seems like the community will have a darling manufacturer and everyone will sell their first born to buy there stuff then like a switch was thrown, people start chucking shade. You see it with everything and some of it has merit but for them most part it seems like high sport and entertainment to build up to tear down. Seems Geissele is the current target but I have seen: EO Tech, Aimpoint, Daniel Defense, Magpul, LaRue, BCM, Surefire, Troy and others take their turn at the stick. Is this a simple issue of competitors shading enough until it takes hold or do we as a community look forward to tearing apart manufacturers?

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Most of the manufacturers that caught sh!t did something to earn at least some of it. Then you have the F.A.E. (forum amplification effect) which makes it seem like the world is mad at them when in reality, it's like 50 cubicle dwellers avoiding doing actual work.
    Last edited by Sry0fcr; 05-14-19 at 14:29. Reason: 51 if you count me :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In all seriousness, I think a manufacturer becomes 'the darling' on an internet forum because someone with stature on the forum endorses them. It is easy to say something derogatory like 'then the fawning masses follow' but that isn't truly the case. Folks on forums want to participate, one way to participate is to acknowledge a good experience with the manufacturer.

The momentum builds from there and more folks chime in because people also want to belong to the group that is winning. Anyone that disagrees at this point is shouted down. Therefore most people who disagree keeps their thoughts to themselves.

Some folks, maybe those with oppositional defiant disorder or, those who are naturally inquisitive and willing to put some thought into decisionmaking or, those who have had a bad experience with the manufacture, begin to question the assumption that the 'darling' manufacturer is all that darling.

At that point the folks who didn't really by-into the 'darlingness' of the manufacture but have been silent begin to speak up. The process begins again.

Anyways, that is what I think, based on what I know about group dynamics. The reality is that in many cases the manufacture is really an acceptable manufacturer.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-14-19 at 16:09.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Fan fueled hype needs to be handled carefully, lest the brand should start to believe in it and think itself invincible, and can do no wrong.

Pride in quality and service is one thing, it's not the same thing as hubris and arrogance.

The industry seems to have an unspoken rule to speak no evil of anyone. By the time the consumers notice something, it's usually far worse and gone on much longer.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    People act extreme online. “Its the best” or “its junk” are the 2 most common answers.

Stick with something that has a reputation of quality and CS and forget the bs.
    I would not hesitate to use any of the manufacturers you listed.

Feedback Score
    You see that type of behavior in nearly all online forums. Tools, cars, sports, etc. You name it. It doesn’t seem specific to firearms or firearm forums to me.

My opinion..... There’s about 7 billion people on the planet, and a great many wind up on the internet with a lot of them speaking (typing) on forums. The static to noise ratio can get pretty high.
    Last edited by magister; 05-14-19 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by magister View Post
    You see that type of behavior in nearly all online forums. Tools, cars, sports, etc. You name it. It doesn’t seem specific to firearms or firearm forums to me.

My opinion..... There’s about 7 billion people on the planet, and a great many wind up on the internet with a lot of them speaking (typing) on forums. The static to noise ratio can get pretty high.
    Absolutely..try participating in the Porsche forums...it makes us look like cub scouts. On the other hand you have to have "purists" to point out flaws and thereby improve the overall products. ARs in particular have made great strides since even the 90s, and I have been into guns since the early 70s.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerguns View Post
    I've been into the AR thing only a couple of years now but it's been long enough to note a trend. Seems like the community will have a darling manufacturer and everyone will sell their first born to buy there stuff then like a switch was thrown, people start chucking shade. You see it with everything and some of it has merit but for them most part it seems like high sport and entertainment to build up to tear down. Seems Geissele is the current target but I have seen: EO Tech, Aimpoint, Daniel Defense, Magpul, LaRue, BCM, Surefire, Troy and others take their turn at the stick. Is this a simple issue of competitors shading enough until it takes hold or do we as a community look forward to tearing apart manufacturers?
    Here's why the internet hated those companies for a hot minute. (Some of which may or may not be true, depending on your personal perspective)

•Geissele sued some people.
    •Eotech ignored a major flaw in their optics.
    •Aimpoints are expensive.
    •Marty Daniel stepped on his dick and made a statement in support of gun control, also over gassed uppers.
    •Magpul didn't offer enough color PMAGS, and the BAD lever sucked ass.
    •Mark LaRue is kind of a douche, but he makes good stuff.
    •BCM lowers may or may not work with PMAGS.
    •Surefire gave money to antigun politicians, also expensive.
    •Troy hired one of the Ruby Ridge snipers.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Deleted.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 05-14-19 at 18:40. Reason: No reason

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Here's why the internet hated those companies for a hot minute. (Some of which may or may not be true, depending on your personal perspective)

•Geissele sued some people.
    •Eotech ignored a major flaw in their optics.
    •Aimpoints are expensive.
    •Marty Daniel stepped on his dick and made a statement in support of gun control, also over gassed uppers.
    •Magpul didn't offer enough color PMAGS, and the BAD lever sucked ass.
    •Mark LaRue is kind of a douche, but he makes good stuff.
    •BCM lowers may or may not work with PMAGS.
    •Surefire gave money to antigun politicians, also expensive.
    •Troy hired one of the Ruby Ridge snipers.
    Most of these are very valid points. LaRue is getting off easy in your assessment though
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast