Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting LPVO

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Hunting LPVO

All,

I’m looking for suggestions for a hunting LPVO. Desired characteristics are a daylight visible crisp illuminated dot and good light transmission for use at dusk and dawn. Looking for a max power of 4-8x. I’ll be using it on a Grendel 12.5” with a suppressor. BDC is irrelevant and I’ll be using it at a max range of 250m on deer and pigs with lead free projectiles. My current favorite LPVO is a Steiner P4Xi 1-4x, but its on a different rifle. I’m open to other optics, obviously. Current optic is a Leupy 2-7x, but I’m looking for an illuminated dot. Reasonable price would be great, but I’m well aware that I get what I pay for.

Edit: I won’t be clicking out dope, so capped turrets are preferred.
    Last edited by 1168; 05-15-19 at 10:47. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Not a super popular scope, but I use a Trijicon TR25 1-6 with the green triangle reticle. Glass is great, and the tritium/fiber illumination is perfectly usable in all legal hunting light. With Hornady 75gr TAP T2 from my 14.5" barrel, the bottom of the triangle is right at 250yds.

1x

6x

Strelok Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Used a VX-R patrol for several years deer hunting before switching to the Hog model to get away from the exposed turrets. Both have clear glass, bright illumination, light weight, and not pricey.

Leupold also makes a 2-7x VX-R that I would assume has the same attributes as the 1.25-4x plus a 32mm objective lens.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Look at the Leupold VX-R Hog. Good dot, capped turrets, just a hair over 8 ounces and around 500 bucks.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I’ll look into those.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    What's your budget?

The Vortex Razor 1x6 gen 2 E for the money is just awesome.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    What's your budget?

The Vortex Razor 1x6 gen 2 E for the money is just awesome.
    I haven’t set one yet. I’m in the “explore what’s out there and start saving” phase with this one. Although, I’m pretty deep in expensive projects right now. I’ll look at the Vortex, also. I hear nothing but good about them.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have the leupold firedot circle. It works for me. I couldn’t stand the stupid “Pig Plex” words so I went with the circle. David

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I recommend a simple reticle with these scopes. Definite day light reticle, especially for dawn and dusk but also if you are shooting from the woods into an open area. I don't think you need a hold over whether it be lines or dots, you know the deer size, simply hold over x amount. Distance isn't that far to where this is hard. I'm guessing you are wooded with shots 200 and under?

The Trijicon looks like a great choice and yes on capped turrets, those things can get turned easy sometimes. The Strelok Pro pic, says a lot and I think answers your quest.

Another
    https://www.trijicon.com/resources/d...asurements.pdf
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Personally, i wouldn’t want a heavier scope on a 12.5” hunting Grendel. The Leupold VX-R Patrol seems like a good pick and if you were shooting past 250, I’d say NF NX8. I have a rifle setup the same way as the OP however I use a 1.5-8 Razor HD LH- suits my needs fine but no illuminated dot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast