Thread: Fixed 3x scope vs red dot... stuck in between the two

Feedback Score

Question Fixed 3x scope vs red dot... stuck in between the two

So I've got the Burris 332 3x Scope. Great scope, reticle on the glass with red/green illumination, and has been good to me. But with my rifle primarily as a home defense/do it all rifle....I feel like I need a red dot for home defense and if I need distance competition, etc then I'll switch optics a d re-zero. Or just stick with the 3x???

Feedback Score
    This should be in the optics section. A mod will probably move it

That being said, I wouldn't want a 3x prism scope for HD.

Hey an aimpoint pro and you will be good out to 300 yards on a man size target

If you want to reach out farther you could have another gun set up for that purpose, or many go with a low power variable scope like the P4XI 1-4 from Steiner, vortex pst2, Burris XTR etc are all solid and $600 or less currently

I wouldn't trust a Burris 3x for HD or recommend it, but if you keep it you could always add an offset reflex site

Feedback Score
    Aside from competition purposes, for which you are okay swapping optics, what is the max distance you intend to shoot? The home defense aspect already makes a red dot a better option, but if you're shooting will be under 200 yards then the red dot is an absolute. I'm just trying to get a sense of your "do it all" efforts. And with home defense, are you meaning clearing rooms with your AR? Or do you mean keeping looters at bay from a distance? Magnification is fantastic for target identification, but within 200 yards that's not as much of a concern.

As far as swapping optics: You'll want to re-zero a competition optic after putting it back on to make sure you didn't shift even the smallest amount. However, a home defense red dot is probably going to hold an acceptable zero as long as you use a good 1913 mount. Certainly verify the zero a few times to get comfortable that it's not changing after putting the optic back on. But generally good 1913 mounts, placed back on the same rail spots, will keep a zero after removing and putting it back on.
    Last edited by PappyM3; 05-15-19 at 20:45.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a fixed 2.5x in one of my ARs and like it overall. However due to the limitations of a fixed magnification optic at close-range, it's basically a dedicated outdoors gun, where the fixed 2.5x magnification is pretty useful. My ARs that might get grabbed for HD either have Aimpoints, or in some cases even just irons, both of which I'd rather use indoors than a fixed magnification scope.
    Can you use a low powered fixed magnification optic indoors? Yes. But a red dot is always going to be better for that purpose and if you just have the one rifle and HD is one of it's primary roles, a quality red dot is the better option.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an AR332 3X on a range rifle - not the SBR that lives in my bedroom safe, it has a PRO.

I solve the problem of 3X when doing close range drills by flipping down the front cover.

For HD you would need to leave the power on and the front cap down - if you are a disciplined both eyes open shooter it would work but would be far from optimal. Battery life is 500 hours on medium to lower settings so it isn't a leave on optic like my Aimpoint PRO.

I'd get a PRO - 3 yr battery, to be safe replace battery when you replace the smoke alarm batteries - I do it on fall back.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Why not get a lpvo? I prefer the TA44, over a RDS. It's 1.5x but still fast and better at distance.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver