Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed 3x scope vs red dot... Continued

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Fixed 3x scope vs red dot... Continued

I have a 2.5x prism on an 8.5" pistol and a 3x prism on a 9" pistol. Both are fine at 7m (approx) which is the closest I've used them at. The first time was a bit much but in very quick time it just wasn't an issue. None. Quick acquisition and all that. Every 2-3 days I just grab one and simulate to maintain the memory. No biggie. Anything that nearby can be a point and shoot (in most situations) if need be imo.

Feedback Score
    Was this in response to the locked thread in AR GD?

Generally, prism scopes seem to be bombproof for how affordable they are. I have a 3x that I use on a "ranch rifle" AR and it's pretty handy for shorter to medium-range critter engagements. Wouldn't be my first choice for bump in the night duty, but with practice it could work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Was this in response to the locked thread in AR GD?

Generally, prism scopes seem to be bombproof for how affordable they are. I have a 3x that I use on a "ranch rifle" AR and it's pretty handy for shorter to medium-range critter engagements. Wouldn't be my first choice for bump in the night duty, but with practice it could work.
    It is. I found the thread wanted to add my 2 cents, .........

Not my first choice either however if I had only one optic for multi-purpose, a small prism / fixed magnification optic or a 1x - ?? would be my choice. If 100% sure no magnification will ever be useful, red dot is a good pick.
    Last edited by bamashooter; 05-16-19 at 13:34.

Feedback Score
    It's been a really long time since I've had to ponder the "if I could only have one" scenario. Probably going back to my A2 carry handle days when irons were pretty much the only one choice.

If between a RDS and fixed 3x? RDS If the choice opened up to anything but only one, LPVO (1-8x).

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I used to hear that if you will be shooting mostly less than 100 yards, a red dot is preferable. However, I notice that with the improvement in LPVOs, that advice is seldom heard any more. Personally, I use red dots for home defense. If I'm leaving the house, I prefer some magnification. Magnification is important for target identification at distances longer than 50 yards for my eyes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It used to be the easy button was a 6920 with FSB and an Aimpoint. Now I think the easy button is any of the decent (6960, Sionics, BCM) railed flat top guns with a Vortex Viper PST II. It's basically a red dot plus all the capabilities of a variable power scope and none of the astigmatism issues.

I swapped my 6720 + Aimpoint PRO for a Sionics P3E + PST II and the latter is exponentially more capable and easier to use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    It used to be the easy button was a 6920 with FSB and an Aimpoint. Now I think the easy button is any of the decent (6960, Sionics, BCM) railed flat top guns with a Vortex Viper PST II. It's basically a red dot plus all the capabilities of a variable power scope and none of the astigmatism issues.

I swapped my 6720 + Aimpoint PRO for a Sionics P3E + PST II and the latter is exponentially more capable and easier to use.
    I have a hard time finding the reticle in 1x on my LPVO, not sure if I need more practice or if I need a higher mount or what. I do like the idea of LPVO , I’m having trouble getting used to them though.

Red dots are virtually dead to me. I have astigmatism and OCD. I can use them but I want a perfect circle and that ain’t happening.

Feedback Score
    Which scope do you have? Does it have day bright illumination?

I also have a terrible astigmatism and I don't like to wear glasses. Toric contact lens' got me back into the game on red dots. Perfectly crisp round dot. Before it was like a red comet streak. If you still can't deal with RDS, take a look at the 1X prism scopes from Vortex and Primary Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazyeach View Post
    I have a hard time finding the reticle in 1x on my LPVO, not sure if I need more practice or if I need a higher mount or what. I do like the idea of LPVO , I’m having trouble getting used to them though.

Red dots are virtually dead to me. I have astigmatism and OCD. I can use them but I want a perfect circle and that ain’t happening.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Which scope do you have? Does it have day bright illumination?

I also have a terrible astigmatism and I don't like to wear glasses. Toric contact lens' got me back into the game on red dots. Perfectly crisp round dot. Before it was like a red comet streak. If you still can't deal with RDS, take a look at the 1X prism scopes from Vortex and Primary Arms.
    I have the PA Raptor. 1-6. The reticle is very bright. It just takes me like a second to get the scope to the right level where my eye picks it up.
    I use an Eotech for my HD gun but ideally I’d like something I don’t have to turn on.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazyeach View Post
    I have the PA Raptor. 1-6. The reticle is very bright. It just takes me like a second to get the scope to the right level where my eye picks it up.
    I use an Eotech for my HD gun but ideally I’d like something I don’t have to turn on.
    There is nothing as easy to use as a red dot, in my opinion. However, the capabilities (particularly target identification at longer ranges) of the LPVO make it worth the little bit of extra effort required to use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast