Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you torque muzzle devices on your bolt gun? EZ-PZ *Pics & Video*

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

How do you torque muzzle devices on your bolt gun? EZ-PZ *Pics & Video*

I’ve got a suppressor Mount I’m putting on a Seekins Havak Bravo but realized I don’t have a way to hold the barrel/action while torquing on the brake. I don’t need much, but still need a way to keep the rifle steady.

Also, are shims G2G on a precision rifle? Seems most guys machine the brake, and that’s how my last custom rifle was done but this one is being put together by yours truly.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 05-29-19 at 16:02.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    For a precision rifle I keep the torque low (about 20 ft/lbs) so I just do it on a padded vice or rifle sled. No need for a barrel block.
    The best way to time a break if money is no option is to cut the threads to match but shims are still good to go with a suppressor. I try to use 3 shims or less.
    I have had very good results with shims, @20 ft/lbs of torque, and lots of Rockset.
    Last edited by CoryCop25; 05-16-19 at 13:06.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thank you man! Everything you said jives with my research and what I was expecting, and I trust your judgment. I will report back with pics afterwards.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yes pics!
    Or it didn’t happen!
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    My last 2 bolt guns that I've changed muzzle brakes on , I've had a buddy machine down the rear of the brake so it times correctly with no shims. He told me its much easier to remove them later if you need to clean the crown. As far as how he did it, he just held the rifle with the butt on the floor and used a wrench to index it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Before we have the reaction rods and fancy blocks, we just stick an old metal mag in the gun, vice down the mag / gun and have a buddy give it a little support and do your thing. A little rockset and you don't have to torque the shite out of it too. Shims are GTG

Best of luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For every timed muzzle device I’ve put on in recent years, I’ve never had occasion to regret using crush washers. Shims and/or torque wrenches just seem utterly unnecessary to me.
    Last edited by Hmac; 05-18-19 at 07:01.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    For every timed muzzle device I’ve put on in recent years, I’ve never had occasion to regret using crush washers. Shims and/or torque wrenches just seem utterly unnecessary to me.
    Until you blow apart your suppressor.

I actually swapped out the Brake for a Brakeout 2.0 which did not require shims so the point is moot anyway.

I got it mounted. Thanks guys. I used 15ft lbs of torque and rocksett. I wanted to keep it very light. I’ve already shot it at 630y using factory ammo and can consistently hit 5” swingers.

Last edited by Eurodriver; 05-29-19 at 16:02.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

How do you torque muzzle devices on your bolt gun? EZ-PZ *Pics & Video*

Dude what? I get your a doc or whatever but there is nothing sound about this practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    yea thats bad medicine for your suppressor family.

Euro, give up the specs on that sweet boom stick??? Nice scope too.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 05-29-19 at 18:17.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast