Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt CM762

Feedback Score

Colt CM762

I've been shopping for a 308 for a while. My problem is that I'm deterred by the relatively high prices of top quality rifles like Knight's and LMT, and unimpressed by what you can get for less than $2000. So, I've been saving money and biding my time.

Last month, I handled a Colt CM762-16s at my LGS - it seemed like a decent rifle - ambi controls, nice MLOK rail, VLTOR stock, good charging handle, and Magpul Pro sights. Most important, it's a Colt with a solid BCG and a Colt 1:12 chrome lined barrel. Alas, they were asking $2300.

Around the beginning of the month, Colt finally posted a MSRP on their website - $1799. Previously, the webpage below had no pricing information. So, I went looking on gun.deals and ordered one on May 6 from Grabagun for $1580. I picked it up Saturday.

I cleaned it, installed an ALG ACT (using the longer Colt pins for their odd lower receiver) grabbed a Leupold 4-12x, some old delinked M80, a couple of boxes of Federal XM80CL, a box of Federal GM 168, and headed to the range. It ran perfectly with no problems and very consistent 3-4 o'clock ejection. It was pretty windy, so I roughly zeroed the iron sights at 50 yards, then slapped the scope on. At 50 yards from a rest, it was producing 1-1.25" 5-shot groups from the 149 grain stuff and one hole 5-shot groups from the 168s. Frankly, I was very impressed.

The rifle weighs 8lb 4oz, has a pinned & screwed gas block, a mid-length gas system, a carbine length buffer tube, and a 5 oz buffer marked "308." In spite of recent complaints on this site about Colt outsourcing/quality, the fit/finish is very good.

I'll post a full range report with pictures when we get a calm day for accuracy testing. I am extremely happy with this rifle so far.

The reason I'm posting prematurely is because the MSRP on Colt's website dropped to $1499 sometime in the last couple of days. The prices from the usual suspects on the web are in the $1400-$1600 range. While this may have been a questionable value at $2300, it's a slam dunk for $1400.

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/col...n-161-20rd-blk

Good shooting!
    Last edited by slimedog; 05-17-19 at 11:03.

Feedback Score
    This rifle was in an email blast from Arms Unlimited the other day. You're right, at $1399 it seems like a good option and it's available in 6.5 as well.

Feedback Score
    The other detail I forgot to mention is that grips with any kind of beavertail (like a Magpul MOE or BCM Gunfighter) DO NOT fit the CM762. The shape of the lower prevents those grips from seating. Happily, I'm fine with the A2 grip. Also, Geissele sells the longer pins for the 901/CM. So far, however, the stock Colt pins seem to work fine with the ALG trigger and hammer.

Feedback Score
    I have the Marc 901 and I enjoy mine. I’m glad colt made the new mlok version since they will not release the mlok monolithic version that colt Canada has. Mine shoots MOA or better with hornady 168gr amax. Glad to hear that the CM762 shoots well. They’re good guns

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slimedog View Post
    The other detail I forgot to mention is that grips with any kind of beavertail (like a Magpul MOE or BCM Gunfighter) DO NOT fit the CM762. The shape of the lower prevents those grips from seating. Happily, I'm fine with the A2 grip. Also, Geissele sells the longer pins for the 901/CM. So far, however, the stock Colt pins seem to work fine with the ALG trigger and hammer.
    The hogue with a beaver tail fits it. It’s the one that i’ve Seen will fit without modification

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hang on. $1400 for a factory 308 Colt? What's the catch?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well sheeeeyyyyitttt, I should've waited. I bought mine when they were $2k.

I think I've put maybe 60 rounds through mine. I'm just too focused on pistols to really put time into a carbine, to be honest. But it's been good for those 60 rounds. Austrian Hirtenberger is what it's had.

I agree with OP about fit and finish, it's quite good. It feels like a big heavy pig compared to the SCAR though. And I absolutely detest the ambi magazine release, pressing it sometimes makes my finger slip into the trigger guard.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by slimedog View Post
    I've been shopping for a 308 for a while. My problem is that I'm deterred by the relatively high prices of top quality rifles like Knight's and LMT, and unimpressed by what you can get for less than $2000. So, I've been saving money and biding my time.

Last month, I handled a Colt CM762-16s at my LGS - it seemed like a decent rifle - ambi controls, nice MLOK rail, VLTOR stock, good charging handle, and Magpul Pro sights. Most important, it's a Colt with a solid BCG and a Colt 1:12 chrome lined barrel. Alas, they were asking $2300.

Around the beginning of the month, Colt finally posted a MSRP on their website - $1799. Previously, the webpage below had no pricing information. So, I went looking on gun.deals and ordered one on May 6 from Grabagun for $1580. I picked it up Saturday.

I cleaned it, installed an ALG ACT (using the longer Colt pins for their odd lower receiver) grabbed a Leupold 4-12x, some old delinked M80, a couple of boxes of Federal XM80CL, a box of Federal GM 168, and headed to the range. It ran perfectly with no problems and very consistent 3-4 o'clock ejection. It was pretty windy, so I roughly zeroed the iron sights at 50 yards, then slapped the scope on. At 50 yards from a rest, it was producing 1-1.25" 5-shot groups from the 149 grain stuff and one hole 5-shot groups from the 168s. Frankly, I was very impressed.

The rifle weighs 8lb 4oz, has a pinned & screwed gas block, a mid-length gas system, a carbine length buffer tube, and a 5 oz buffer marked "308." In spite of recent complaints on this site about Colt outsourcing/quality, the fit/finish is very good.

I'll post a full range report with pictures when we get a calm day for accuracy testing. I am extremely happy with this rifle so far.

The reason I'm posting prematurely is because the MSRP on Colt's website dropped to $1499 sometime in the last couple of days. The prices from the usual suspects on the web are in the $1400-$1600 range. While this may have been a questionable value at $2300, it's a slam dunk for $1400.

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/col...n-161-20rd-blk

Good shooting!
    Slimdog, how gassy was the gun? Did you run suppresed? I might buy one too and put an ACOG on it.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 05-24-19 at 00:55.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Slimdog, how gassy was the gun? Did you run suppresed? I might buy one too and put an ACOG on it.

PB
    Reports I've seen around the internet concerning the previous version (LE901/AR901) were that is was very gassy suppressed, with lots of people swapping to adjustable gas blocks.

I have been looking for a GP 308 semi to shoot without a suppressor and have been thinking long on this. Would love an LMT or KAC, but for a GP 308 out to 400-600M, those are overkill. And the CM762 IS a COLT after all and for $1300, it's hard to not consider, even with proprietary parts (which lets be honest, most 308s have some to a lot of).

Feedback Score
    I'm not running suppressed, though I plan to eventually. I suspect the 3 o'clock ejection unsuppressed suggests that I'd need an adjustable block with a suppressor...

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast