Thread: Brownell’s BRN-10 retro barrels rusted

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Brownell’s BRN-10 retro barrels rusted

I guess they are shipping these retro barrels out to match how they were in the 50-60’s also. No packing grease and inside full of surface rust. I already called Brownells and told them the issue and offered to send pictures. They didn’t want them and shipped the new barrel the next business day after I sent the original back. I wish I had kept the original, the new one seems to have more rust inside of it. I don’t think you could get much more surface rust before it starts to pit. Just sad they don’t place some packing grease in them. I would be a lot more upset if they weren’t on sale. Rant over. It is what it is and I guess I will clean it and then copper line it..... just a heads up if anyone else is thinking of getting a 308 retro barrel....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 10-06-20 at 20:21.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is a preservative that looks like rust. Clean the bore and see what you get.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Added photos of the first barrel that went back.
    This is the second barrel
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 10-06-20 at 20:26.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    More of the second barrel

I just ran a few patches with No.9 through it, one pass with a brass brush, and now I have Otis foaming bore cleaner in it. Will update in a bit....
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 10-06-20 at 20:55.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The way it came out was like rust, not grease, not cosmoline, nor packing grease or even wax. It turned the patches brown like wood stain, the stuff that came out with the brush is tiny flakes like fine silt. It cleaned up well, but it seemed like it was a coating of flash rust in it. Hard to get a good after photo. All I see now is some patch lint as then barrel doesn’t seem to want to pose well now.

Feedback Score
    Ouch, both retro barrels I received where perfect, hope yours is fluke. My experience with Brownells service department has always resulted in issues being rectified. Good luck

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The BRN-10 description says "The barrels are QPQ-nitride finished and feature an accurate phosphate exterior finish." Nitride-treated barrels often have an orange film that has to be cleaned off before use. I'm not sure if it's rust or something else. With several new nitride barrels from other (reputable) makers I've had tons of orange stuff come out on patches when new, and then the barrel is clean and shiny going forward.

Brownells says they're doing QPQ (a form of nitriding) followed by some kind of phosphate finish. I wonder if the second step might leave extra goop. I've never seen a new barrel as dirty as your pictures show, but none of my nitrided barrels were trying to look like anything other than nitride.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    So it appears they have now added a B on the part number and are selling them as blems. Mine does not have a B on the back of the part number but sure looks nothing like the stock photo. Reading from the questions on Brownells these are made by a reputable manufacturer, I may reach out to them to ask what the barrel should look like when received new.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It is rust. I had a plastic cover for some super 33 under the muzzle when I was pushing the brush through to catch the foaming bore cleaner. I wet the yuck that came out with some more bore cleaner today and placed a strong magnet under it. All the yuck is now on top of the magnet. So if it isn’t rust, it is still magnetic.....