Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt CM762

Feedback Score
    For the price, the 901 is a solid carbine.
    I purchased a 901 Modular 'se' example in March for $1799.
    This price drop may help a friend decide between the Colt and the Springfield Saint victor.

Feedback Score
    I did have a chance to run it at 100 yards and saw 1 to 1.25" 5-shot groups with the Federal (<2" with the Lake City M80). I think under better conditions (and if I actually took my time), this will be a MOA rifle.

When I get back in the States, I'll post some pictures and a full review. I'm really happy with it - at $1300-1400 the Colt seems like a great deal.

And thanks for the heads up on the Hogue grip, ExplorinInTheWoods. I'm kind of a Magpul MOE guy, but maybe I'll give the Hogue a try.

-SlimeDog

Feedback Score
    I can’t really tell from any of the pictures I’ve seen. Does this new version have the monolithic upper receiver/rail? Does the conversion block that’s required to use 5.56x45 uppers come with the rifle?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    snip
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    ...I can’t really tell from any of the pictures I’ve seen. Does this new version have the monolithic upper receiver/rail? ...
    Photo shamelessly stolen from ToS. Not mine:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I can’t really tell from any of the pictures I’ve seen. Does this new version have the monolithic upper receiver/rail? Does the conversion block that’s required to use 5.56x45 uppers come with the rifle?
    Nope - it's not a monolithic upper. It has what appears to be a Centurion rail (similar to the one on the 5.56 Colt Trooper, but supersized). The conversion block to fit 5.56 uppers was not included.

Feedback Score
    https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-M...le901-16se.htm

There are three different versions of the 901, the 'se' is a monolithic upper.

Feedback Score
    mtscout, thanks for the link. I was debating, but that $1,400 delivered was too good to pass up. Unfortunately, they were out of the conversion kits. Hopefully I'll be able to get one in the future.

Feedback Score
    It seems like a good deal. I love my Marc 901. I wish they sold the new charging handle so I can have one for my 901.

Feedback Score
    I forgot to say thanks to Vgex2 and slimedog for the information you provided.

I see that the conversion kit (SP99405) is discontinued. I get that the usefulness of it is pretty theoretical (why not just buy the lower half of an AR-15 instead of the conversion kit), but I don't get why Colt would discontinue it. They were selling for $150+. If Colt can't make money on that, then something's wrong. Oh wait, Colt is having financial troubles. Colt made a 7.62x39 version of this rifle for Yemen. They'd sell a bunch if they offered a semi version in the U.S., but the don't. All that said, I'm pretty pumped about getting this new rifle and am looking forward to shooting it.

Feedback Score
    I went to my dealer and picked up the LE901-16SE that I ordered from Arms Unlimited. Upon initial inspection, I found quite a few silver colored nicks in the anodizing on the right front and bottom of the handguard area. That was disappointing to see on a new gun, but I figured that it wouldn't be worth refusing the shipment as I can fix it with an anodizing pin. I couldn't look at it further when I got home, so the next day I gave it a more thorough inspection. The first thing that I noticed was the there was no Colt factory label on the end of the box. Instead, the serial number was written on the end of the box by a magic marker. That seemed odd, but no big deal as it was a Colt box. I then inserted a magazine in to the rifle and found that the right side bolt carrier release wouldn't work. After inspecting it a little more I was able to determine that its forward roll pin was missing from the receiver. I was wondering how in the world that could get out the door from Colt. I then looked in the box for the manual and found a regular Colt AR15 manual. It seemed odd to me that Colt wouldn't have a special manual for this rifle. I then discovered that the factory rails were missing from the box as was the warranty card. Then I remembered that Arms Unlimited is selling the complete uppers, complete lowers and bolt carrier groups for this rifle on their website. Could it be that they simply pieced it together? I then pushed out the rear takedown pin and pulled out the bolt carrier. Upon inspection of the bolt face I found it to be perfect, as in not a hint of a mark anywhere on it. This confirmed that this rifle hadn't been test fired. I then went and looked at Arms Unlimited's website just to be sure that I hadn't missed anything. Sure enough, they list it using the Colt sku number "LE901-16SE" and say nothing about it being pieced together by them or accessories missing. So, I sent off the email below to Arms Unlimited.
    Hello,

Yesterday I picked up the LE901-16SE that I ordered. Upon inspection several issues were found.
    1) The original 901 owners manual was not included. Instead, a regular Colt AR15 manual was included. While the 901 owners manual isn’t shown on your website, a quick search of the internet showed that it was supposed to be included with the rifle.
    2) The rail sections were also not included. In fact, based on scuffing on the right and bottom of the rail area, it appears that they had been previously installed and removed. The rifle is not advertised as being sold as blemished. It’s not a big deal as I can fix the blemishes, but I need the missing rail sections.
    3) The forward roll pin for the right side bolt release is missing and appears that it may have never been installed. As a result, the right side bolt release doesn’t function.
    4) While the box is a Colt style box, it doesn’t appear to be the original box for the rifle. Every Colt rifle that I’ve purchased (about 10) has a nice professional looking factory label on the end of the box. The serial number is hand written in marker on the end of this box. This coupled with the missing manual and rail sections makes it appear to me that this rifle may have been used as a display model or otherwise mishandled. It certainly does not appear to be unmolested brand new in the factory box. I inspected the bolt face and there is not a mark on it. This indicates that the rifle has never been fired. I find it odd that Colt would not have test fired this rifle. Was this rifle factory assembled or was it assembled from the parts that are available on your website?
    This morning I called Colt and explained that I needed to find out if a rifle I purchased was factory assembled or assembled elsewhere. The lady I spoke with asked me for the serial number. After a couple of moments she replied "spare parts Arms Unlimited". Note that I had not told her who I purchased it from. I knew then for sure that it wasn't a factory assembled rifle. That in and of itself wouldn't be an issue, but that does mean that there isn't a warranty for the rifle as a whole. Since this lower has a problem, not good. Early this afternoon I received a reply from Arms Unlimited.
    Hello Bret these were not used these are brand new from Colt. These were a special production that was sent to us so the rails and accessory pack was not included with this production. Also the manual we included because this also was not include . We received a large quantity of these in bulk packaging for a police department special order. We had extra to offer our interested customers, so any web search you are seeing ours did not include the same items that is why it is not advertised on our website. And yes this is correct they are not in original marked Colt boxes. It was factory assembled.
    Honestly, that seemed like a bunch of bull to me. I decided to remain calm and gave their customer service a call. I explained the situation to the gentleman that answered. He was very understanding and professional. He saw the points that I raised and confirmed that they had assembled the rifles. He went on to say that they've received other calls regarding the missing rails and manual. I explained to him that it's unethical to give the appearance that they're selling a factory assembled rifle by using Colt's sku number. Given the situation, they should absolutely disclose on their website that some accessories are not included and the fact that the rifles are not Colt factory assembled and don't have a factory warranty. He told me that the parts would have a Colt warranty, but I explained to him that the rifle as a whole doesn't and I don't want to get in a battle with Colt or Arms Unlimited about what is or isn't covered under warranty. He really seemed to want to make the situation right and offered a $50 credit for the missing accessories. I told him that I appreciate the offer, but I can't even find the rails or manual on the internet. He then said that they'd take the rifle back and refund my money. They did the right thing and sent me a UPS call tag. In the end I'm out the $25 transfer and my time. It's going back to them on Monday.

All this to say, buyer beware. If you're fine getting a non-factory assembled LE901-16SE that's missing the rails, manual and doesn't have a factory warranty for $1400, then go for it. I'm just as much of a collector as I am a shooter, so that doesn't work for me. I certainly feel misled by their website. Was it intentionally misleading? I don't know, but it certainly wasn't close to being transparent.

Tonight I purchased another from MrGunDealer for $122 more. It's indicated as being factory new, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Bret; 06-14-19 at 23:42.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast