Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt CM762

Feedback Score
    More than likely. Its funny though, back in june they were literally all over the web, then mid july I was looking and they were out everywhere. I did find a few 901s in stock though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I ended up buying one of the close out LE901-16SE MARC rifles a few days before all this recent Colt drama occurred. There is very little info on the web so I figured I would say a little bit about my first impressions. I own or have owned a SCAR 17, MR 762, Larue OBR and PredatOBR, LMT MWS, PTR, SAN 751, and an M1A so I have a bit of a reference for other 308 rifles. I have been wanting a short frame ar10 and this one has been on my radar since it was introduced.

The Good:

The thing is light compared to many other 308 rifles and It manages to do so with a heat shield, large all steel front sight gas block and heavy barrel. The only gun lighter that I have owned was the SCAR and not by too much. It reads at right about 8.5 pounds on my scale. It is handy but it does have a forward weight bias due to the heavy barrel.

The thing is nuke proof. The Monolithic upper receiver has absolutely zero deflection when I try to move the barrel within the handguard. It definitely helps that it is one solid chunk of 7075T6. There are helicoils for the rail attachments. Everything seems robust and over built instead of the somewhat flimsy feeling I get with the SCAR.

I tend to run my stocks short so I appreciate the short receiver set compared to other ar10 rifles. As a result the rifle handles much better for me.

I really like the way Colt executed the ambi magazine release. It is my favorite that I have used. It is very well protected from accidental activation but very easy to engage when you want to.

The Bad:

The rear sight and charging handle are proprietary.

Unique hand guard rail pieces. I actually don't mind this too much but it definitely is not bleeding edge these days. The New handguards address this.

The ambi bolt release can not be used to lock the bolt back and it sits a little far back.

The rear tang of the lower will not allow many pistol grips to be used.

No sling mount at the rear of the lower. Built in forward sling mounts are not limited rotation.

4 position receiver extension. 6 would have been nice.

The Ugly:

Due to the shorter receiver the step down in diameter on the bolt carrier occurs part way up the ejection port and it leaves a rather large hole for debris to enter during an inrange TV mud test. So according to the internet this rifle is useless.

The Obvious:

Colt Fit and Finish. Everything that matters in war is well looked after with little regard to how it looks on your insta my story. It has the typical Colt dings and the lower handguard anodize has a purple tint. I don't mind the character but some people might be annoyed.

I am hoping to get some time blocked off to shoot this thing soon to expand on my experience. While most of the other 308 rifles I have owned shined as DMRs or Long range rifles this one is very much in the vein of a battle rifle. My initial assessment is very favorable and this rifle seems to have a lot going for it in that role. how useful is a battle rifle itself is a different discussion though.

Feedback Score
    I love my CM. Me personally, my biggest gripe about the newer version would be the handguard being just a bit too long. I wouldn’t mind them shaving it down an inch or so. It does give me a longer sight radius though for irons, and the irons mine has was the magpul pros with the skinny post.

The charging handle is a beast in itself. Easy enough to utilize. I favor the ambi controls as well. I haven’t shot mine for accuracy as of yet, as Im still waiting on a good magnified glass to put on it. So I currently have it with an MRO, which has been a workable setup so far for targets out to 150 or so. But my ranges are limited as is for the thick mountain vegetation Im in here in the East Tennessee mountains.

Im glad you like yours. Im on the lookout for a 901. Id like to have one to go with my newer release.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is any one worried about Colt supporting these rifles in the future?
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Is any one worried about Colt supporting these rifles in the future?
    Not really, I have some spare parts as well.

Feedback Score
    I agree with Rhino, just use it and enjoy. If you come across another complete BCG that would be money well spent. With Politics today I would doubt Colt will have much to offer in regard to support... but who knows.
    Good Shooting.

Feedback Score
    Im not worried about it. Colt has some of the best carriers out there. I do have a friend that sent his rifle back for service for whatever reason just before this was announced, so Im curious on the turn around time. That will likely be the biggest hurdle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ginge View Post
    I love my CM. Me personally, my biggest gripe about the newer version would be the handguard being just a bit too long. I wouldn’t mind them shaving it down an inch or so. It does give me a longer sight radius though for irons, and the irons mine has was the magpul pros with the skinny post.
    I agree with this. I feel like everyone is having a race to get the handguard all the way to the flash hider and it is just dead weight at the wrong end of the gun. A 12-13 in handguard will do everything for you. It will get the bipod out far enough, provide space for inline optics, allow you to mount accessories and give you space the hold the rifle in whatever manner you see fit. I might change my tune if I were 6’8” tho.
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 09-23-19 at 23:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    I feel like everyone is having a race to get the handguard all the way to the flash hider and it is just dead weight at the wrong end of the gun. A 12-13 in handguard will do everything for you.
    A mid length is enough for me. It reminds me of when having a heavy barrel was all the rage. Eventually people figured out that all that extra weight had some negative consequences.

Feedback Score
    Question: what M-Lok panels do you use?
    Mine is the SE model and I am looking for suggestions on a thin panel to fasten on the handguard.
    Thanks.

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast