Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 20 and hot loads

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

Glock 20 and hot loads

I recently bought a Glock 20, and I am looking to carry it exclusively for critter defense in the Rocky Mountains. I hear rumblings that it is not safe to shoot Underwood or Buffalo Bore out of it, which would really be a shame.

Is a stock Gen 4 Glock 20 able to safely handle these loads? If not, what do I need to do to get it to that point?

For those that carry Glock 20's for this purpose, what rounds do you carry?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for asking this question. I was going to pick up a G20 in the next month or so for exactly the same reasons. I'll be interested to hear the answers.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    Thanks for asking this question. I was going to pick up a G20 in the next month or so for exactly the same reasons. I'll be interested to hear the answers.
    Looking at BB and Underwood's websites, it looks like they advertise that even their hottest 10mm loads, specifically the 220 grain hardcast flatnose, is safe in any modern 10mm semi-auto.

Buffalo Bore:
    These loads bring out the full potential of the 10MM but operate at standard pressures and as such, are safe to use in any standard 10MM pistol. Please don't phone us and ask if these loads are safe in your 10MM - THEY ARE SAFE--provided your 10MM is a normal operating pistol in good condition.
    Underwood:
    Our 10mm ammo is 100% compatible with all 10mm factory barrels on the market today, including the Colt Delta Elite

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Unless something has changed Glock's have issues with lead bullets, the polygonal rifling in the Glock barrel is not kind to lead bullets and evidence has it that lead build up and pressure rise can occur quickly. Federal has a hot hunting load, the 650 ft/lb 1275 fps Federal Premium Vital Shock 10mm Auto 180 Grain Trophy Bonded JSP that's what I would use.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 05-17-19 at 22:08.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Unless something has changed Glock's have issues with lead bullets, the polygonal rifling in the Glock barrel is not kind to lead bullets and evidence has it that lead build up and pressure rise can occur quickly. Federal has a hot hunting load, the 650 ft/lb 1275 fps Federal Premium Vital Shock 10mm Auto 180 Grain Trophy Bonded JSP that's what I would use.
    Underwood appears to be slightly different lead from the pictures I've seen. Do they cause the same issues?

From their website:
    Yes, you may shoot all of our Hard Cast ammunition in polygonal rifling thanks to their Brinell hardness of 21. Soft lead is not recommended for polygonal rifling, our hard casts are nearly 4 times the hardness of soft lead.

Feedback Score
    There is s big difference between “lead” bullets and hard cast bullets,

There are you tube vids showing instances where the polygonal barrels can’t stabilize the 220 grain bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I believe the main consideration should be reliability, because if you have a stoppage your pistol is no longer a life saving tool.

Loads that should perform the best, meaning heavy for caliber, wide meplat hard cast, at higher velocity, are the worst for reliability in semi auto service pistols. I have wasted a lot of time and money with different platforms and loads for use as a field pistol, and ultimately settled on the USP FS 45 with Underwood 45 Super loads using the Lehigh xtreme penetrator bullet as a penetrator load, and the Critical Duty +P 45 JHP load for general use. The Lehigh bullet profile feeds well, and I have shot it in many different platforms in 9, 40, 45, 45 Super and 10mm. Wide meplat hard cast loads just have not functioned for me in the Glock 20/29, S&W Gen 3 10mm, and even HK pistols.

If I carried a Glock 20/29 for field use, I would use Hornady factory XTP or Critical Duty as my JHP load, and the Underwood Lehigh load as my penetrator load. Those loads function. Even with aftermarket springs and barrels none of the hard cast loads have functioned reliably for me. Neither has the Federal Trophy Bonded load.

As an aside, for animal defense, I wouldn’t hesitate to carry a 9mm with the Underwood Lehigh penetrator load, ideally backed up with a shotgun with Brenneke slugs.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I would drop in a barrel that fully supports the case head. Lone Wolf, Storm lake, etc. I had an RMR fly off the slide of my 10mm Glock MOS and cause a nice cut on my friend's forehead. If you are going the RMR route, use longer screws. The factory ones are definitely too short.
    Last edited by signal4l; 05-18-19 at 10:10.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I believe the main consideration should be reliability, because if you have a stoppage your pistol is no longer a life saving tool.

Loads that should perform the best, meaning heavy for caliber, wide meplat hard cast, at higher velocity, are the worst for reliability in semi auto service pistols. I have wasted a lot of time and money with different platforms and loads for use as a field pistol, and ultimately settled on the USP FS 45 with Underwood 45 Super loads using the Lehigh xtreme penetrator bullet as a penetrator load, and the Critical Duty +P 45 JHP load for general use. The Lehigh bullet profile feeds well, and I have shot it in many different platforms in 9, 40, 45, 45 Super and 10mm. Wide meplat hard cast loads just have not functioned for me in the Glock 20/29, S&W Gen 3 10mm, and even HK pistols.

If I carried a Glock 20/29 for field use, I would use Hornady factory XTP or Critical Duty as my JHP load, and the Underwood Lehigh load as my penetrator load. Those loads function. Even with aftermarket springs and barrels none of the hard cast loads have functioned reliably for me. Neither has the Federal Trophy Bonded load.

As an aside, for animal defense, I wouldn’t hesitate to carry a 9mm with the Underwood Lehigh penetrator load, ideally backed up with a shotgun with Brenneke slugs.
    After reading your post, I started looking into the 140 gr Xtreme Penetrator from Underwood. Seems like a really well created bullet design, but most importantly, it seems to live up to it's name. While it is expensive, I think I'll buy a few boxes and put it to the test.

I was unaware of the issues that 220gr ammo would have in polygonal barrels. Maybe these Xtreme Penetrators are the solution for stock glock barrels?
    Last edited by LowSpeed_HighDrag; 05-19-19 at 15:00.

Feedback Score
    I upgraded my G20 to a Lone Wolf barrel and have run plenty of Double Tap and Underwood ammo with no issues. Never even shot the factory barrel to compare. Just read it needed done and went that route...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast