Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baton, which one

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Baton, which one

My son has taken an interest in Batons. Which one to get? Are the pricy ones that much better than the cheaper ones. I bought a cheap pone off Brownells, seems decent.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Duty or hobby?

I used an ASP repeatedly once on a very combative suspect. He told me to "f*ck off", and I broke my hand to pieces in that fight.

I have since bought a Kogawood Straight Baton and it does the trick.

For collapsible batons, the Peacekeeper RCB is the minimum that should be carried.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Duty or hobby?

I used an ASP repeatedly once on a very combative suspect. He told me to "f*ck off", and I broke my hand to pieces in that fight.

I have since bought a Kogawood Straight Baton and it does the trick.

For collapsible batons, the Peacekeeper RCB is the minimum that should be carried.
    Never thwacked anyone with an ASP or similar, but always amazed at the complete lack of effect when watching vids of their use by LE. I'm sure they hurt, but appear of little value with a person who does not care about some pain, at least where LEOs are authorized to strike people with them.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Never thwacked anyone with an ASP or similar, but always amazed at the complete lack of effect when watching vids of their use by LE. I'm sure they hurt, but appear of little value with a person who does not care about some pain, at least where LEOs are authorized to strike people with them.
    Like anything, you need to practice - it takes me three times as many hits with a hammer to drive the same nail as someone who does it for a living.

Most police officers don't practice enough to ingrain good technique. There components of technique at work - hitting someone with an unlocked wrist and letting the baton bounce, versus hitting them with the intent to drive the baton through the appendage.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Like anything, you need to practice - it takes me three times as many hits with a hammer to drive the same nail as someone who does it for a living.

Most police officers don't practice enough to ingrain good technique. There components of technique at work - hitting someone with an unlocked wrist and letting the baton bounce, versus hitting them with the intent to drive the baton through the appendage.
    I imagine where you hit makes a world of difference. Side of knee versus thigh, rib versus bicep, elbow versus shoulder, kidney versus glute.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I wonder if we need a "Staff of Learning" picture thread?

Hmmmm.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    I imagine where you hit makes a world of difference. Side of knee versus thigh, rib versus bicep, elbow versus shoulder, kidney versus glute.
    Generally, police are trained to strike large muscle mass areas (arms and legs) and avoid joints. The Koga method is the only one I'm familiar with that really used the butt end of the baton to aggressively strike (from the ring techniques), although the PR-24 did use jabs to deflate in conjunction with other techniques. And most riot control formations use a jab to move rioters.

https://www.safariland.com/products/...t-1000321.html
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Baton, which one

Peacekeeper is the KAC of batons. X2 there

Loved my 24” staff of justice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I carried an ASP for years, they work but they’re not as good as 24” of hickory. I was in a Bruce Siddle class where he opined that most average cops were only effective for one or two strikes then things went downhill precipitously. After that there was much flailing and fodder for law suits with little positive effect.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    In my experience the best batons looks a lot like Streamlight SL-20s.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast