Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Baton, which one

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    I imagine where you hit makes a world of difference. Side of knee versus thigh, rib versus bicep, elbow versus shoulder, kidney versus glute.
    Generally, police are trained to strike large muscle mass areas (arms and legs) and avoid joints. The Koga method is the only one I'm familiar with that really used the butt end of the baton to aggressively strike (from the ring techniques), although the PR-24 did use jabs to deflate in conjunction with other techniques. And most riot control formations use a jab to move rioters.

https://www.safariland.com/products/...t-1000321.html
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Generally, police are trained to strike large muscle mass areas (arms and legs) and avoid joints. The Koga method is the only one I'm familiar with that really used the butt end of the baton to aggressively strike (from the ring techniques), although the PR-24 did use jabs to deflate in conjunction with other techniques. And most riot control formations use a jab to move rioters.

https://www.safariland.com/products/...t-1000321.html
    I found using the butt end of the baton quite effective for strikes to large muscle masses, and when necessary other parts of the anatomy. I found the side of the baton better suited for blocks and pushing.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I miss my SAP

Feedback Score
    I carried a 26 in ASP, used it mostly for search, moving stuff rarely ever actually hit anything or anyone with it.
    Veteran US Army Combat Medic/US Navy FMF Corpsman

"Well placed gun fire is the best preventive medicine."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    IDK what use/need the OP's son is trying to meet with a baton.

While straight sticks are nice, the problem is that very often, they are in the unit when you need them. The best thing about the expandable baton is that it is always with you.

On DV calls I would have mine out and concealed (collapsed) until I knew it wasn't needed.

For civilian usage, I don't think that a straight stick is more low profile than a tee-ball bat, and if push came to shove I'd rather have the tee-ball bat. As a civilian I'm not going for joint locks or pressure points with a baton.
    He wants a concealable baton, He is at a University and it drives him crazy I won't let him role with his G19. They have many break ins and tons of shifty BS. No gun is happen. So, its collapsable and that is it.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammered_Pair View Post
    I carried a 26 in ASP, used it mostly for search, moving stuff rarely ever actually hit anything or anyone with it.
    I've used a baton once on someone in a USOF, once on a dog, a few times for pressure points or arm extraction, and hundreds of times for going through homeless people's belongings or poking at wild animals that wont get off the road. It seems to be a tool of the bygone days for sure, and more often than not used in other ways than striking.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123