Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry Film Lube and the TDP

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Dry Film Lube and the TDP

Gentlemen,

I have completed due diligence to the best of my ability, searching every available post I could find herein and all without answering the questions I have posited below. If I have grossly erred in my search, please guide me to the relevant thread(s) and accept my chagrined apologies and multitudinous thanks.

BACKGROUND

There is a recent thread concerning Centurion Arms Rifles here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...lable-Thoughts

In it, a Member (post #121, page 13) notes the following: “So I didn't notice when I picked them up but my complete rifles and the uppers I ordered don't have dry film lube in them. I don't think it really matters that much in the grand scheme of things, but MUH MIL-SPEC! Haha. But seriously, did anyone else notice this in their upper?”

THE REQUESTS FOR INFORMATION

1. Dry Film Lubricant (DFL), from what I’ve gleaned, is mandated in the TDP, yes?
    1.1. As several members in several threads have made light of its utility (cost vs. benefit), may I reasonably conclude that this specific mandate is a half century old vestige of optimistic, creative engineering that ultimately bore no fruit on the battlefield? Id est, the absence of factory applied DFL, while making a given rifle MIL-SPEC deficient, does not ultimately hinder that rifle’s proper functioning (assuming, of course, this rifle is wet in all the right places).

2. Which AR components are mandated to have the DFL?

3. Is the MIL-SPEC, factory applied DFL durable? Or, perhaps, it’s more meaningful to inquire into its functional persistence, where persistence is measured within the milieu of an easily measured variable like round count.

Many Thanks!
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

O•MARS•CORROBORA•ME•VT•PVGNARE•PERGAM

Feedback Score
    AFAIK, the magazine is the only part needing dry film but I'm probably far off the reality.

Envoyé de mon LDN-L21 en utilisant Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFalconeer View Post
    AFAIK, the magazine is the only part needing dry film but I'm probably far off the reality.

Envoyé de mon LDN-L21 en utilisant Tapatalk
    When I Googled outside of this website most results were for magazines and the remainder advertisements for dry lubricants. My suspicion is that at least the inside surface of the upper receiver would be required to have the factory applied DRL.
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

O•MARS•CORROBORA•ME•VT•PVGNARE•PERGAM

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoptotic View Post
    When I Googled outside of this website most results were for magazines and the remainder advertisements for dry lubricants. My suspicion is that at least the inside surface of the upper receiver would be required to have the factory applied DRL.
    As well as the inside of the receiver extension.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'm genuinely curious about the requirement of the dry lube. I don't *think* it matters much, as I'd guess your contact points will quickly wear the dry lube off and need to be kept wet (which you'd lube with wet lube anyway), but I'm always learning.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoptotic View Post
    Gentlemen,

I have completed due diligence to the best of my ability, searching every available post I could find herein and all without answering the questions I have posited below. If I have grossly erred in my search, please guide me to the relevant thread(s) and accept my chagrined apologies and multitudinous thanks.
    You shouldn't have to offer up this disclaimer.

It's farking bullshit that guys are affraid to ask a question here. WTF is the point of a forum?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Has someone defined what dry film lubricant? MOS2 and graphite are dry but not film, is teflon a spray and when dry may qualify, so is spray on silicon lubricant. None seem very popular as an AR lubricant. I have a spray on dry lubricant which is really just dilute mineral oil in a spray which evaporates--completely of no value. Graphite is rumored to cause some sort of electrical-based corrosion. I don't know about moly, silicon film may alter tolerances, silicon just plain doesn't work.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Whatever LMT puts inside their receiver extensions is good stuff. They are slick.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Inside of the receiver extension and upper receiver.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Whatever LMT puts inside their receiver extensions is good stuff. They are slick.
    Yep, and BCM •Dry Film Lube on interior bore per Mil-Specs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast