Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .308 Win reloading and brass questions

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    By example, we had crazy tail winds on Sunday and shot over so many targets its nuts, using giving and known DOPE. We also shot most if not every target left on Sunday, WTF. Wind is a bitch.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    For comparing high run-out rounds to low run-out, the difference I notice is the velocity ES. Lots of those “wind” misses are often elevation.
    That's interesting. I never thought of it as a potential velocity issue.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The common process for benchrest and F-Class these days is FL size with minimal shoulder bump with the expander removed. Follow that up with a carbide neck mandrel. That will get you more consistent internal neck diameter and thus neck tension.
    I run through a universal decapping die, then prime on the down stroke, next an S-Type Redding die with TiN bushing with no decapping rod or expander, then on to a Sinclair carbide neck mandrel, then I have a powder die modified for a funnel, I throw with an auto dispenser/trickler, then a Redding Competition seating die or Forster benchrest.
    So are you recommending I use a full length sizing die without the neck expander ball, then run a neck sizing die only? That is essentially what I do for my markm262 load. I am not familiar with the Redding S-Type dies with bushings. Would using a standard full length die like a Dillon or RCBS followed by an RCBS neck sizing or Lyman M die work to the same effect?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TxRaptor View Post
    Would using a standard full length die like a Dillon or RCBS followed by an RCBS neck sizing or Lyman M die work to the same effect?
    That's not a bad option, but you are working the necks a little more. That's how I do my .223 brass.

I hate the bushing dies. They might work good for some set ups where you're turning necks. But they sucked for me, and I got the dreaded donuts in my brass.

I don't have time or patience for neck turning. I get the process, but I refuse to deal with it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TxRaptor View Post
    So are you recommending I use a full length sizing die without the neck expander ball, then run a neck sizing die only? That is essentially what I do for my markm262 load. I am not familiar with the Redding S-Type dies with bushings. Would using a standard full length die like a Dillon or RCBS followed by an RCBS neck sizing or Lyman M die work to the same effect?

I recommend if you aren’t neck turning, a FL die without an expanded ball. Then use a Sinclair neck mandrel for expansion in a second step. You’ll get more consistent results in regards to runout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I recommend if you aren’t neck turning, a FL die without an expanded ball. Then use a Sinclair neck mandrel for expansion in a second step. You’ll get more consistent results in regards to runout.
    I agree. The expander ball should almost never be the solution. I float my RCBS neck expander die's mandrell... it's not perfect runout-wise... but much better than ripping an expander out of my necks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I appreciate the information. I'll look into FL and Body dies and separate neck sizing die/mandrel options.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123